Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Umpteenth power window motor failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seem to recall that bulletin also. I may have a copy somewhere but finding it would be more the project. According to Brian's service index, there must have been a kit. Details apparently in a Stude bulletin or two we are missing on the site.

IIRC, it was almost a direct change motor wise -- maybe an extra screw or the like but it also needed the installation of something else -- a circuit breaker, I think.

Actually brings out a point on longevity though. Even back then Packard motors were getting extinct. Downside to a Studebaker supplied motor is power windows were so few and far between on their cars. I doubt the motors would be any more plentiful than our own.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The replacement motors were from Leece-Neville(sp?) and required the installation of a separate circuit breaker. The originals had a built-in circuit breaker.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
The replacement motors were from Leece-Neville(sp?) and required the installation of a separate circuit breaker. The originals had a built-in circuit breaker.

Leece-Neville sounds English. They weren't a part of the Lucas Group were they?

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:48
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Leece-Neville was a major US supplier of electrical components with a major part of the segment for heavy duty auto components like starters, generators, motors, etc. Much of their equipment was found on military and emergency vehicles like ambulances, fire engines, etc. Very high quality stuff. If Jason chimes in from AER no doubt he'll have much more information on the company.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, the article on the substitute power window motor is referenced in the Electrical section (with electric windows also cross-referenced from the Body section) of our 55-56 Service Index.

Yes, we are missing that issue - SSB No. 356, dated July 1960. With OE supply depleted and likely NLA from Delco (especially in view of the Packard specific aspects), four years after production ended in Detroit doesn't sound like terrible longevity.

However, among the many things that BigKev obtained from the Dan Yocum Estate for our archive was 1955 - 56 Instructions for installing Leece-Neville Window Lift Motors. This is essentially what the SSB covered - even used same diagrams, IIRC. Use of external circuit breakers is duly noted.

Would still like to have copy of SSB No. 356 and No. 359 (regarding incorrectly packaged parts) for the archive - as well as any other MIAs.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BH Quote:
...1955 - 56 Instructions for installing Leece-Neville Window Lift Motors. This is essentially what the SSB covered - even used same diagrams, IIRC. Use of external circuit breakers is duly noted.

Thanks Brian, but this presumes one can obtain Leece-Neville motors 1552468-9, which is actually the problem isn't it? Fitting external circuit breakers makes sense if they are needed, but could, of course, be mounted anywhere in the door or rear QP.

We still need a reasonable substitute motor available currently.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/31 22:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I was only responding to questions/points brought up by HH56 and others WRT to a factory bulletin on the Leece-Neville motors.

However, since you mentioned availability, know that I had a discussion with a vendor, a year or two ago, who had some of these Leece-Neville motors, but I'll let him speak to present availability if and when he sees fit.

If limited in availability, know that Leece-Neville was acquired by Prestolite (another Studebaker supplier), which is still in business. Might be worth someone's time to inquire about a new run of those motors, but it won't be me. As I've squirrelled away a few used motors and armatures for my own purposes, I'm good.

Personally, I'm not interested in adapting any "general purpose modern power window lift system". I might consider a proven, bolt-in motor adaptation since it's gonna be out of sight. It's more likely that I'll just repair/rebuild the Delco units myself if I have to (and when I'm ready to). However, I have no intention of going into business with that.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I will state again-as I had design responsibility for window lift motors-adapting a pinion to a modern motor is the big Problem/ the second but much easier is the adapter plate. A modern motor has 2 leads-much smaller and much more powerful than these things. The switch to control it may look different. A Ford windowlift motor can be used if someone will figure out the pinion. Ford up until the mid 90's used a 9 tooth pinion.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see what you mean about the pinion. Packards extends out quite a bit more. There appears to be a variety of motors so surely worth a look. This motor size looks about the same though so a flat adapter plate to match the different hole locations looks possible if the motor mounts in original plane.

Problem with this motor is how to either get motor closer to the rack -- which may be a problem with rack clearance to motor bolting locations or extend the shaft and pinion a bit.

Are all the different shape motors about the same with pinion location. This is one of the few that had a side view. If all the same, is the Ford shaft and pinion a solid assy or is pinion pressed on?

Attach file:

jpg  (40.41 KB)
209_5019daf4c1eef.jpg 865X585 px

Posted on: 2012/8/1 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
It slips on a kurl and peened in place-almost all modern windowlift use rectangle can-much smaller than these round things-all permanent magnet-alot of torque

Posted on: 2012/8/2 6:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved