Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 64

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Gas Line for 47 from Pump to Carb.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I wanted the "look of steel" on some tubes around the Packard engine but when I went to the auto parts store to buy brake line they all had some sort of dark coating on them. That's the wrong look. Does anyone know about this new coating? Can it be removed?

Posted on: 2012/9/29 11:43
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
From what I've read on brake tubing is that they coat it to protect it against corrosion, some use a zinc-rich paint, teme( a lead/tin ally) and epoxy.

With all the good information that I have gotten. I'm thinking about using the Copper/Nickel tubing, I'm just not sure what the color looks like, but it sounds like the best way to go.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My experience with flaring steel tubing with hand flaring tools differs somewhat from Tim's experience, with good tools and a little practice it's not much of a chore to get good flares. So steel is the way to go if OEM appearance and material is that important to you; otherwise cupro-nickel is easier to do and will last for centuries. Appearance at least on the brand I use is slightly brassy but not enough to attract comnment like copper would.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 12:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I replaced all the lines in my car with steel tubing and use a simple $12 hand flaring tool set in a vice. Not one leak.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 13:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I like them to seal at around 11-13 ft lbs of torque or one finger on a wrench.

Given the castings are all pretty much hammered I suppose it doesn't much matter. However, I remember Bill Lester was messing around with the carburetor on his Rolls Royce and the casting fell apart. We had no choice but to glue it back together. I would not want to have that happen on a Caddy 12 or a vacuum tank.

When working on things like this a trip to the plating shop just seems to make more sense. Heck, if you really want to be fancy take the stock to the plater and have it done beforehand.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.54 KB)
373_5067c106aa583.jpg 1280X573 px

Posted on: 2012/9/29 22:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved