Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

Packard Don, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

A genuine Darrin restored with a Viper engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information

Posted on: 2012/10/20 16:52
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: A genuine Darrin restored with a Viper engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Although I like what they've done ("Custom Pro Street"), they chose the wrong car to execute it on, IMO. Screwing with a real Darrin was a big mistake. For the money spent on bodywork, they could have converted a 4dr sedan into a convertible! A restored original Darrin should bring much more money than this bizarre thing.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/10/20 17:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Having driven Darrins extensively I can only say that thing is a total death cab. And a waste of money. I wouldn't trade my 17 year old modern car for it. Junk.

Posted on: 2012/10/20 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
When you know one of them, then you know all of them.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.00 KB)
757_5083511b48e1b.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (29.48 KB)
757_5083512ae5743.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/10/20 20:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
We're all in accord that the EBay "Darrin" street rod is an abomination, there being a 10/16 thread on this same car on the For Sale/Wanted/Trade forum here. But before someone croaks from apoplexy, let me assure you that, according to Don Figone, who knows as much about Packard Darrins as anyone on this planet, the EBay monstrosity was cobbled from a "Packard Re-in-Car-Nation," Seattle faux Darrin to being with. No living Darrins were harmed in the making of this movi--- bowel movement.

Don's owned several Darrins over the years, including today a quietly stunning '40 One-Eighty victoria, black over black with gray interior, blackwalls, no fog nor driving lights which you never saw in the day anyway, no gargoyle atop hood, just basic baled feather ornamnent. The epitome of Darrin as luxe road car it was intended to be. A master's automobile in anyone's lexicon. You see the alluring car, not the usual baubles. Again, less is more and if only more car folk, Packardians among them, realized this.

I've been after him to post his Darrin, as well as his '42 One-Sixty convertible coupe, a mint original, always pampered jewel he's owned since buying it from the original owner in 1967;
and his crisp maroon '40 One-Twenty convertible coupe on the Owner Registry here. Don's '42 One-Sixty drophead was sold new to a woman high in the Red Cross in 1943. 115,000 miles and only the timing chain's been replaced. At idle, all you hear is the breeze from the fan.

Have to admit i used to secretly covet Darrins, but after driving one of the 15 '42 One-Eighty victorias 60 or so miles, the seating position ergonomics, well, 'tis a personal preference. You sit nearly on the floor, and feel like you're slithering down the road with your feet out nearly straight before you. But then, i passed on an XK-140 FHC and A-H 3000 for much the same reason, as well as the usual English bedevilments.

Of course, Packard Darrins were made to be seen in
as much or more than to drive, so we're not telling tales out of school that the cars straight from East Grand are better automobiles.

But the 1938-40 Darrins, lovely to look at it, and makes you wonder why Packard didn't "Darrinize" the entire 1940 line up. They did a year and a half later with the sleek, tasteful Clipper, but by then, GM's skillful marketing of their 85th-percentile, but glitzy Buicks and Cadillacs, had begun to turn Packard's tide.

Posted on: 2012/10/20 23:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Always admired the styling of the Darrin roadsters, though I could never afford one. I'm no expert on this model, but my gut told me the seller's claim that this was a REAL DARRIN was BS.

Kinda surprised that no one here mentioned the VN provided in the listing details. Looks like body/model number is 1378, which would be a 160 business coupe.

IMHO, this thing would have been worth more if executed as a stock Darrin clone. As it is now, I wouldn't give it a second look; only good thing is it will make real, unmolested Darrins worth that much more.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 10:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Somehow, I doubted it was a genuine Darrin. Those custom shops building such cars are all about the bucks, know that at prefectly restored genuine Darrin will always be far more valuable than any bastardized version ever could ever return for the effort. They're not about to lose a dollar just to make some silly point.

Now, how many ersatz Darrins were built by Packard Re-in-car-nation? I recall their advertisements in Hemmings at one time. I've heard or read that not only the convertible victoria but also convertible sedans were built.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/10/21 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree that this thing is not a genuine Darrin. The door line (Darrin Dip) is wrong and the tacking rail looks an inch too low. And the windshield doesn't look right.

Once you get used to the seating, it isn't all that bad. I think maybe Darrin did it that way because he felt the look was better. That is, he styled the seatback to make the driver look better.

If I had my choice I would take the 120 Darrin over the 180. The 120's were built in the Hollywood shop and handle much better. When you point the 180 models into a turn they understeer as much as a Chris Craft. Truly a land yacht. The 120 with overdrive is a much more balanced car.

None of them is fit to be driven at high speeds. I remember Ken Hines had to use a seat belt to keep the doors from flying open on his car. That was another Darrin that was "improved" after it changed hands.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm very familiar with this car. As far as I know it was done from a real Darrin although the Darrin was very far gone when it was found.

Interesting on all the negative opinions here as this car draws a lot of attention wherever it shows up. Not my cup of tea, but still a very nice rodded car. I know you all want to be saviours of every Packard that was ever made.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 20:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Perhaps you don't understand the rarity of a real Darrin. I've read that only 40 such roadsters were made for the 1940 (18th Series) model run - half of them on the 120 platform and the rest on the 180.

If the subject car was a real Darrin and was too far gone to restore, I would have had more respect for an owner who cut it up for parts so that others might be restored. In fact, I've met a Darrin collector who has taken molested examples and painstakingly returned them to bone stock condition.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 22:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved