Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 7
Guests: 206

Ozstatman, Frogmagic, TxGoat, Tobs, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Patrician...Just back
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
I just got my '56 Patrician back from the interior shop last weekend. This ends my 8 year pilgrimage into restoration-land. As with any restoration, it had its ups and downs - 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I imagine that most, if not all, of us are familiar with the drill. Now that the bulk of the process seems to be in the rear view mirror I am really happy with the finished product.

I made the decision to invest in a whole new interior, after a family of rodents took up residence in the front seat pieces while they were in storage during the body/paint process. This invasion allowed me some flexibility in what I would do as the original interior (trim # 61 - Light and dark grey cloth) had been "tampered with" over the years so it wasn't as if I was painting over the Mona Lisa. I thought that I might like something a little livelier.

When Randy Berger found his Maltese Grey and Tangier Red '56 Patrician a couple of years ago, I was really impressed with the interior in that car. Packard really came through with a stunning combination. That car provided a roadmap for the direction I took with the interior on my car. I chose a less orangey Red leather and matched the light color seat faces that were on Randy's car with a light grey leather that was on the armrests of my original interior. The dark grey leather was matched with the color of the original dark grey cloth. I had bought a new dark grey carpet set from Dwight Heinmuller which fit in perfectly. The headliner is non-perforated vinyl (or as an old ad for a portable phonograph once said - "Python-like fabri-Koid") that matches the red leather. I couldn't be happier with either the choice of color or materials. Thank you Randy for buying that Patrician!

In the time left before snow starts to fly in Connecticut, I am getting as much road time in to determine what has gone wrong in 8 years of just sitting. So far so good. I addressed the BTV with a Ross Miller rebuild and I seem to be able to stop on a dime and get $.06 change. Fuel tank had been emptied when it went into the body shop 8 years ago, so no dreaded "goo" and all vital fluids have been replaced. I hope the weather holds out for the next 4 weeks at least. This car really likes, and needs to be driven.
I do have 2 questions.

1. The body shop appears to have lost the VI (data) plate that was originally on the driver's door post. I see that Pulfer and Williams has one listed in their catalog for 51 - 56, but the picture in the catalog didn't look like the plate on the '56 Patrician. Has anyone purchased one of these for a '56 (or a '55 for that matter) and did it look like an original '55 or '56. If not, is there anyone else who could provide a correct looking data plate?

2. At some time in the past before I owned the car, the rear end gear set was replaced from a factory ratio of 3.54 to a ratio of 2.87. Someone looking for economy. They did not replace the speedometer pinion in the transmission, so the speedometer is off. The parts book lists both a PINION AND SHAFT ASSY - SPEED (Group 3.685) and an ADAPTER - SPEED PINION (Group 3.686). Do I need both of the pieces in the above groups to get the speedometer to register correctly, and since both Kanter and Max Merritt do not have either of these in stock, anyone know of a source?

Thanks for letting me ramble, but there are few of my immediate friends and family who understand what getting a Packard back to drive after so many years, and trials, means. I felt you folks might understand. And thanks to all the great folks with incredible Packard knowledge that contribute to this fantastic oasis.
Fran

Attach file:

jpg  (30.14 KB)
4357_509594c713d60.jpg 640X317 px

jpg  (46.27 KB)
4357_509594e4d679b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.62 KB)
4357_509594f643314.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.27 KB)
4357_50959504f2dfe.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:05
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Patrician...Just back
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
That's a beautiful car, inside and out! Drive and enjoy.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. No idea on the ID plate unless caribbeandude has the 54 & 55-56 plates as well as the 51-3.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=112332#forumpost112332

You will need both pieces for the speedo gear. The number of teeth and diameter of gear is different for various ratios. The adapters are slightly offset to space the diameter accordingly.

If Kanter doesn't have it, best other option would be a parts transmission from a 56 Clipper since the 2.87 was primarily used on Clippers. If no one else here has anything, perhaps Ross might or possibly Mike Dulinski breaks his stuff down that far and would have it.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for updating us on your Pat and congratulations on it being being back on the road. It looks great! Hope you get in many driving days before you have to snug it away.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
'54 Plates are not the same as the 55/56 ones.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 18:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Wow! What a great restoration! I hope the local folks appreciate the work you have put into that automobile. I would be happy to have you show up at any cruise/show/meet that I attended. You should be very proud. It reminds me when the local car club would say "We're going to take our cars down to such-and-such". I would always reply "OK, you take your cars and I'll bring my automobile".
You have an automobile!

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thanks Craig

Posted on: 2012/11/5 8:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Howard, Thanks for the data plate info. i will contact Carribbean dude and see if he has the correct plate, and I suspected that both pieces were necessary for the speeometer, but I had received some opinions to the contrary, so I thought it best to chedk with the experts.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 8:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thanks Mal, Do you think that I should start looking for a set of tire chains?

Posted on: 2012/11/5 8:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thanks Randy, Your Patrician was the model! And I just gotta keep practicing - "I have an AUTOMOBILE, not a car..."

Posted on: 2012/11/5 8:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved