Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Super 8 speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Today I disconnected the speedo cable from the speedometer.
I am assuming there should be a square tip on the cable that inserts within the back of the speedo.
Apparently, my speedometer seized and the cable tip has twisted off.
When removing the speedometer, does it have to come out from the back of the dash?

This doesn't look like it will be easy for a chubby owner.
Thankfully,
Al

Posted on: 2013/1/9 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Super 8 speedometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's been some years since I removed a speedo from a 48-50 but yes, you can remove it from the back though it's not what I'd call a pleasant job (what underdash job is?). As I recall there are several rather obvious retaining screws and of course you'll have to remove the light bulb and socket and if you have a trip odometer you'll have to deal with how that's attached to the base of the dash.

I'll bet someone here has done this alot more recently than me and can give you better info.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
How do you remove the instrument pod on a 48-50 ? Looks like just two retaining nuts at the inside bottom - and then the assembly will come out ? Right ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/1/9 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
To remove the speedometer from the back you can follow O_D's directions. There are three screws to remove and I've added a photo of the speedometer in its case to show the location of the three screw hole tabs in relation to the case. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before you start waving a screwdriver around back there. It's awkward as heck, but I found using a mirror on a stick and a long thin screwdriver worked for me. If you can find a mechanically adept skinny teenager with small hands... so much the better.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.58 KB)
188_50edf88dc6ea7.jpg 576X384 px

Posted on: 2013/1/9 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Having this photo, showing the screw locations is really helpful. Especially, due to the confined area.
Thanks so much JD!
Al

Posted on: 2013/1/9 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
when you put it back in-go to the tool store first and buy a screw holder and relax as it will take some time. dell

Posted on: 2013/1/9 20:37

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Took out the speedometer today... Still waiting for the penetrating oil to do its job so I can get the odometer cable out.
Is there a way to lubricate the speedometer, or would I be better taking it to a speedo shop?
I tend to believe the cable snapped off at the speedometer, due to the speedometer seizing...
Thanks so much for the info guys!

Posted on: 2013/1/12 13:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just my personal view of not wanting to incur the chance of doing unpleasant jobs a second time and removing that speedo falls into that category for me, I'd just send it to a good speedo/instrument shop like Wolf (and there are other good ones) and have it serviced and be done with it.

While you're signed on, your last post was posted in triplicate, just to keep things neat don't forget to go back and delete the extras.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 14:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
The part (gear) in the transmission, attached photo, (Male end goes into female speedometer cable) seems to be retained with a spring of sort. I have no intention to remove it if not necessary... Just want to make sure the connection is right when placing the new cable back.
Also, what is the (what seems like an) electric motor attached to the manual transmission?
Thanks again for the help fellas.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.12 KB)
4228_50f1cb888f884.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (46.35 KB)
4228_50f1cb989d5cc.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/1/12 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The electric motor looking device is the solenoid for the overdrive.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 18:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved