Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 220

kevinpackard, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Know of a bolt-in 6-volt alternator for 356 engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thanks, but i know how to Google. Be there a single 356 soul amongst the here gathered who already HAS such an alternator mounted on their 1940-50 356, who can supply/refer me with/to the ready-to-mount brackets?

Purists avert thy eyes. I've long since made my authenticity bones and have no interest in altering my car,
but am interested in going to a 6-volt positive-ground alternator IF there's already one at reasonable cost that comes with the correct Super-8 356 pulley and brackets. Am not interesed in a project having other interests and a life outside the garage.
Seem to recall seeing such for sale a decade ago in Hemmings, somewhere.

My correct AutoLite generator works fine, but as i've already pared nearly 100 lbs. from my '47 Super Clipper, wouldn't mind getting rid of another 30 or so, especially from the front end, as these cars even in the best shape naturally plow a bit. An old retired mechanic told me many six-volt taxis used alternators back in the '50s, and that he had a '60 GMC tow truck with a 6-volt alternator back in the day, so that'll have to serve as enough PC; Packard Correctness for me.

So, anyone have one, know of a source? Again, i don't want to fuss with making my own brackets and fooling with pulley. A friend has a 6-volt alternator in one of his Cords, but it's
a good idea on those cars simply as low voltage hampers the electro-mechanical Bendix pre-select transmission at idle, this being a four-speed version of the Bendix "Electric Hand" first seen in '35 Hudsons.

Thanks for any help, insight. But please, no whining about authenticity. You're preaching to the choir. I want something bolt in, simple, E-Z. My Cord friend paid $120 for his 6-volt alternator two or three years ago, which seems reasonable. In addition to the generator in my car, which i want to keep, i have two good, complete 356 AutoLite generators with pulleys for trade, etc. for the above offered as cores.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 16:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Know of a bolt-in 6-volt alternator for 356 engine?
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
I don't know about the 356 brackets, but htis should get you close:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6+volt+alternator

Posted on: 2013/1/12 17:38
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quick Start carries them and has different capacity positive ground units.http://store.alternatorparts.com/alternators6voltpositiveground.aspx They also offer several different width wide belt pulleys so need to measure and pick the one you need which will make it kind of a kit.http://alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html#pulleys

You will probably have to adapt a universal alternator bracket to your engine or to the existing generator bracket setup to get good belt alignment. Quick Start has a couple of brackets on the pulley page which looks as if they may work with the Packard original. I doubt you will find anything that's just a straight bolt in.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
6V pos ground alternators available at YnZyesterdays Parts. They might have pulleys / brackets or can put you in contact with someone who has a pattern to fabricate same. (Can't be rocket science). I don't have personal experience or knowledge of their offerings / the price thereof but at least they 'ave 'em! Best of luck with your project.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 8:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If that black Powergen at YnZs comes with a wide pulley that might be the best solution. For an authenticity guy it would almost look correct. Probably still have to change spacers or do a bit with the bracket though.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I left you a response on the AACA forum. Let me know if I can help.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 22:33
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I realized it was kind of rude to leave a post that sent people to another forum, so here is my response:

"I may or may not be able to help you/supply exactly what you are looking for. I can supply an alternator with a universal generator to alternator bracket kit that would install relatively easy w/o any major fab work, just nuts and bolts. I would need to know specifics on your pulley before I promised an exact match. I would need to know diameter and pulley width. Feel free to contact me if you'd like any more details or have any additional questions. I can email you pictures of the bracket kit if you would like. Email me if interested."

Sorry about the earlier reply.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 22:41
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved