Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Media Blasting versus Sand Blasting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Even though I've had my Patrician for more than 18 months now, I'm still a babe in the woods with respect to mechanics and this whole restoration game. My latest quandary revolves around the effects/efficiency of media blasting versus sand blasting parts.

I currently have a nice soda blaster that I purchased last year from Harbour Freight and have run about 50 pounds of baking soda media through it. It did a nice job on the fuel pumps that I rebuilt and I plan on using it on the bendix treadle vac master that I'm currently re-building.

I have a good friend who is in the auto body/restoration business and he has been telling me that media blaster are fine for removing paint, but they do a lousy job on rust. for rust, my friend claims, you need a sand blaster otherwise the rust remains.

I haven't yet had to media or soda blast some severely rusted parts, but I am concerned whether the soda blaster would do the job. Anyone have any thoughts or experience as to which is the better of the two and, especially, whether what my professional friend has told me is in fact correct -- that only sandblasting will remove rust.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 16:48
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: Media Blasting versus Sand Blasting
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I don't know much in this field, But"media blasting" needs to be more specific on which medium to use. Sand and sodium bicarbonate are only 2 of the many choices. Some smarter person will take it from here

Posted on: 2013/1/28 16:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i had my frame soda blasted and there was only some light rust stains left. nothing major. this was done by a professional outfit and not a home kit btw.

i have seen regular sand/media blasting of parts and i can tell you it will strip rust off like no other. i use Steel Grit in my cabinet and it will rip the rust right off.

i plan ot having a proffessional outfit do the car though. not gonna make that kinda mess in my driveway.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/1/28 17:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I just finished having my 51 200 painted. It had three layers of paint on it, so I took it to a local stripping outfit. (see the blog on this project for more details). He used crushed glass - it took off all of the paint and most of the bondo. It would have taken it all off, but my painter wanted to see where the bad spots were. The car had a rusty replacement hood I put on since the original hood was badly dented. The glass took all of the rust off, without any deforming of the metal or damaging the glass. It was also much easier to clean out the car than one that was sandblasted. It cost me $700 to have it done, but it was worth every penny. I have used a friend's sandblaster on small parts and it took me almost as long to do four wheels and a dash that it did the stripper to do the entire car using the crushed glass.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the choice of media is the key and sand or some of the hard grits might not be the best choice on many of the older or more delicate metal items.

I was told that while sand will quickly remove almost everything (except undercoat), it was not a good idea for the amateur on sheet metal because it is so hard. Unless the operator really knows his business and has the pressure and speed action just right, it's like a gazillion tiny hammers. If concentrated in a spot a fraction too long, it can warp a panel in seconds.

In your case with the treadle vac I'd stick with the soda -- or maybe ground walnut shells. Unless it was another soft media, I'd be concerned that the can or shell metal might be thin enough to distort slightly for the piston to slide smoothly. You might also roughen a surface that needs to stay smooth or someplace that needs to seal well..

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I greatly appreciate all of the responses that I've received thus far. The particular soda blaster that I picked up from Harbour Freight is exclusively for baking soda and no other media. I must say that I was drawn to the environmentally friendly aspect of the soda blaster.

I also found that the clean up of the parts that have been soda-blasted has been quite easy and not much of a chore.

I also do some ammunition re-loading and have a tumbler for cleaning brass cartridge cases in which I used either a crushed corn cob or walnut shell media. I was thinking of using that for some of the smaller parts (not too small, though) as the tumbler does a terrific job in shining up my used cartridge brass. Anyone try doing nuts, bolts or other things in one of those?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 0:38
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
For parts derusting I like glass bead, that is another name for "crushed glass". Very effective. As Howard has stated, you have to be very careful about body panels, sand and glass bead can work-peen a panel and there is very little you can do with it after that has happened. THe crushed walnut and plastic media are great for body stripping as they do not have the ability to work-peen the steel.
In the shop I worked in we pput dang near every part of the car through the glass bead cabinet at one time or another.

Posted on: 2013/1/29 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I do reloading too, and have thrown chrome window crank handles, chrome ashtrays and just about anything that will fit into the tumbler and left them overnight....even longer..... I use walnut shells and have been very pleased with the outcome of this form of chrome cleaning and shining...I experimented with cleaning Packard glass lenses and doesn't hurt the glass and cleans the glass and water deposits right off. Ditto with a complete outside rearview mirror. However, some testing should be done on your own to figure what's suitable and not. (disclaimer). Hope this helps.

Edit: I do nuts and bolts too, however, be sure all the tumbling media gets removed from every slot, screw hole and blind orifice. Lord help you if you decide to clean carburetor parts in there. Hope this helps too.

Steve.......

Posted on: 2013/1/29 15:43
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I glass beaded everything I could, and it came out great. There also it's all about the "angle of attack" with the media blaster gun. You want to keep the gun moving and be blasting at a angle to the part as opposed to straight on.

Many of the larger commercial media blaster around here have moved completely away from sand because of the silica respiration hazards.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 11:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Many of the larger commercial media blaster around here have moved completely away from sand because of the silica respiration hazards.

Never use silica quartz sand. For 'sand' blasting, use aluminum oxide. Much safer, though you still need to wear a hood.

Remember, Safety: It's in the top five

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/1/30 12:06
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved