Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 199

BigKev, Don B, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

A very cool photo...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I quite like this photo! It looks to me like the lovely lady in the photo is about to take delivery of a new Packard...

I don't recall what site the photo came from (I don't think it was PackardInfo....)...

Attach file:

jpg  (57.19 KB)
587_511525ba12055.jpg 793X463 px

Posted on: 2013/2/8 11:21
 Top  Print   

Re: A very cool photo...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I hope you are right but kind of undignified for a delivery. It does look like some kind of a loading dock though so maybe she had it shipped somewhere and it finally arrived or she and the car are going somewhere.

Didn't the Packard photos and propaganda generally show a new delivery done by a smiling salesman who drove the car to the customer and handed over the keys. Of course, this was after he carefully went over the fine features again so the little woman would be sure to understand them.

On the gloom side maybe another car bit the dust for the war effort and she's smiling because she contributed.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 11:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Packard is missing its front bumper. I wonder how this plays into the story? Maybe it was removed due to the steep approach to be loaded on the transport? Also, the car looks new, not a used one for a scrap drive. She, looks to be in a 30s style dress, not one from the early 40s. The truck looks not to be too old. I think it is a period correct photo of a new Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/8 12:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All good points. Maybe that is a Packard dealership and the car just arrived from the factory or zone warehouse --

Posted on: 2013/2/8 12:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In any case, it's a great photo - different.
Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
To tell the truth, I was more fascinated with the little 2-car hauler.

I did a search on the net for car carriers of the 1930s and found a lot of old photos but not one of that truck. I did find a couple pictures of a toy truck that I think is based on that design.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.10 KB)
3950_511556f713610.jpg 300X225 px

jpg  (10.67 KB)
3950_5115570eb92ae.jpg 400X266 px

Posted on: 2013/2/8 14:51
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Looks to me like she is wearing pants of some kind.

Could that be a one Packard/2 Fords hauler?

I think she is someones girlfriend being amply rewarded for bad behavior....although normally the reward is a convertible....so she must be a daughter??????

Posted on: 2013/2/8 16:07
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What model is the car?

Can you identify the license on the truck?

How about the guy under the car!

Posted on: 2013/2/8 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Believe ive seen photos of PACKARDs heading for shipment in boxcars with the bumpers removed. Assuming they needed those extra few inch.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Or removed for towing? Dan, thanks for sharing.

Click to see original Image in a new window

8x10 black and white Packard Co. file photograph of a 1932 Packard left side view. Inscribed on photo back: Packard 901, standard eight, ninth series, 8-cylinder, 110-horsepower, 136.5-inch wheelbase, 5-person sedan (body type #543), attached to Packard towing dynamo-meter (rear car), once a 1928 Packard 526, fifth series six, 6-cylinder, 81-horsepower, 126-inch wheelbase, 5-person sedan (body type #323), note modifications: non standard tail lamp, no spare tire, front bumper headlamps removed, massive tow bar at front, steering wheel removed, "Packard Towing Dynamo-meter" in belt panels, 2.5-mile oval test track, Packard Proving Grounds, Utica, Mich.

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 17:11
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved