Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Soon as the parts arrive we do tappets. Then the trans will....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Need some adjustment at the very least. Currently I have drive, but not the H part. I am told this foretells the Gods of Ultramaticland in the sky will soon be calling. When and if that happens, say after me R400....

However....

Possibly the quadrant needs adjusting....

Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/2/11 17:28
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Soon as the parts arrive we do tappets. Then the trans will....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To those of us who believe in keeping a Packard a Packard, I'd hate to see another nice Packard bastardized. Why not just get the Twin Ultramatic rebuilt? Properly done it should last as many miles as most of would put on our Packards in a lifetime. Parts are not a problem and there are folks around who can do a superb job.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2013/2/11 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We aren't there yet....

If I have mine rebuilt....I'm in the Chicago area and know no one who seems fully qualified to do this. Cost to rebuild seems to be about $3500 (at either coast) plus removal and installation. It also means one person to R&R and another to do the rebuild, which complicates things if there are problems.

The R400 replacement is local; total cost is about $3500. Having the R400 also gives me overdrive for easy cruising. 70mph at roughly 2400 RPM vs. 3000 which may give slightly better mileage but seems like it would be easier on the motor.

Worst case scenario is still to save the ultramatic for the next owner.

EDIT: Following the link above, I ended up talking to the man in California. Has anyone used him? He claimed to have done many Ultramatics, especially from Canada. He noted that since the Ultramatic Dynamics person had died he was getting business as a result. Is that person deceased?

It was a very unusual conversation, though possibly the term "monologue" fits better.

FWIW the price is about $3500 and takes 14 days......

Posted on: 2013/2/12 18:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ralph M Bohm
See User information
To Forum Ambassador Owen,

You'd mentioned:

"Parts are not a problem and there are folks around who can do a superb job".

Could you list some of those sources for parts and rebuilding?

Posted on: 2013/2/13 8:48
Most Sincerely,

Ralph M Bohm, N5WPG
truckmen @gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New Ultramatic parts are widely available. Kanter Auto Parts has rebuild kits and many individual parts, parts are also available from Max Merritt, Patrician Industries, Ultramatic Dynamics, FATSCO (formerly Fisher Automatic Trans Co.), Northwestern Transmission, and more. Others may comment on which rebuilders they've found to be suitable, I'm very pleased with mine which was done by Ross.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 10:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
For point of clarification, what's an "R400"?

There is a GM TH400 three speed automatic and a GM TH700R4 four speed automatic, but the designation R400 is not in my lexicon.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/2/13 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
HI Im in california and am thinking of doing the ultramatic over vs a r 400 ,who is the california guy ,Im looking for someone for my ultramatic as the engine is comming out soon

Posted on: 2013/2/13 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Pat, be careful which gods of Ultrauma you consult. If your D position works OK, then missing H is caused by mispositioning of the shifter motor or slop in the internal trans linkage--both easy fixes and inexpensive unless someone is trying to rape you.

Pete Fitch is the owner of Ultramatic Dynamics in Virginia and I would be shocked to find he had died as we shared an Ultramatic tech session in Williamsburg in September. He was quite hale and hearty then and I?ve no news of his death but have been out of the country since Jan. I sincerely hope rumors of his demise are greatly exagerated.

Of course, I would also be happy to do your Ultra if it actually needs it. My price is $2700 unless there is unusual damage, but I must have the car so I can test and adjust. Price includes removal and installation.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Peter Fitch of Ultramatic Dynamics was alive and well yesterday when I spoke with him,

Bernardi

Posted on: 2013/2/13 15:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved