Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 154

BigKev, Rscott77x, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hot Air Car Intake
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
OK. Looks like someone put an electric styly choke Stromberg on my 1941 110. The rebuild carb I have is hot air controlled. Where does the hot air hose connect to? I see a possible location on the intake manifold somewhat towards the firewall. What's currenntly connected to it is a vacuum meter.

I've looked at pics everywhere and can't seem to find the right view.

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Hot Air Car Intake
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Found a photo of this tube going to the exhaust manifold. My exhaust manifold has what appears to be a square pipe fitting in the location. Hope I'm not looking for a piece of unobtanium.

Rich

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
A photo of your manifold would be very helpful.

If you have an original, unmodified manifold, then that pipe cap is plugging the original exhaust heated chamber that operates the choke. The chamber and the automatic choke mechanism are connected by a length of small diameter copper tubing.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/5 13:34
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Per request, here's a photo. This one is from the bottom view although top looks the same.

Thanks!
Rich

Attach file:

jpg  (41.89 KB)
4994_513d6ac0272a7.jpg 721X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/3/11 0:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall the design of the hot air pick up for the automatic choke as being a length of steel tubing that passes through the exhaust manifold - top to bottom. Then another length of tubing fits into the manifold tubing and is fastened to the choke housing of the carburetor with a threaded connection and nut. This tubing is probably steel. A small amount of vacuum draws heated air into the choke housing to operate the release of the choke. No exhaust gasses should be drawn into the choke.

Perhaps the original tubing that goes through the manifold failed causing exhaust gasses to be sucked into the carburetor, and the top and bottom holes were sealed with the pipe plugs you pictured. With a hot air supply no longer available, an electric activated choke carburetor was fitted. Nothing wrong with an electric choke, I have one on my 115C.

You could get a length of steel tubing, drill holes in the plugs for the tubing to snugly fit into, and then connect this tubing to a conventional choke carburetor. I would leave the electric choke carburetor in place unless it is not functioning or you desire an authentic set up.

I hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/11 10:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have no clue what a 41 should have but with JW's description and that plug on the bottom going in at an angle, perhaps it is something like this illustration from a later years partsbook. IIRC there is a description in a restoration blog of suggested repair methods. One may have been done. Perhaps Carl Madsen's blog???

Attach file:

jpg  (36.19 KB)
209_513e0ca1615ae.jpg 632X545 px

Posted on: 2013/3/11 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
The angle is the photo angle. The manifold and fitting are square.

Since I can't help myself, I'm going to take it off and look further at it. Although I like an electronic choke, I'm going to go original....for now.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted on: 2013/3/11 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Rich, it should not be too difficult of a job to install a tube in the manifold with the manifold on a work bench. I would recommend just drilling through the plugs rather than trying to remove them to lessen the chance of cracking the manifold. A short section of the tube should extend beyond the manifold, top and bottom.

Also, this would be the best time to make sure the heat control valve is functioning. The two, auto choke and carb heat, go together for a smooth running and quickly warming up engine.

Howard's illustration should show you the way for both.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Thanks guys. I'll take the advice on drilling it out. What actually holds the tube in?

I also checked the heat control valve, and we're good there.

Rich

Posted on: 2013/3/12 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There is a tube that is permanently fixed in the manifold. It acts as a heat stove and is sealed at the bottom to prevent any exhaust from entering. A steel tube of a smaller diameter is inserted into this fixed tube and attached to the carburetor. There should never be any exhaust actually in the tube connecting the manifold to the carburetor, only hot air. I've included a shot of a fixed tube from 51Packard's project blog.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Edit: Although the above photo looks similar to the setup I have in my '41... I just remembered that my '41 has a '48 356 with a Carter carburetor. Yours may be different.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 9:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved