Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Has any body successfully sleeved a Packard L8
Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
Ross said:

All the 51-54 288 and 327 5 main blocks are the same and are readily available.

really??? nothing diffrent but the stamps and casting numbers??

Posted on: 2013/4/14 15:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
I've been running OK sleeved to standard 282, 16th series, for over 40 years. About 15 years ago had small crack, weeping water, 'metal-locked' between bore and exhaust valve. Still OK. Occasional sticky exhaust valves run much better with multifleet oil like Catex Dello 400 15W-40.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Same part number for the block and piston assemblies without regard to displacement. Oddly, a different number is listed for those with Ultra. Can't imagine what that difference is--I have changed Ultra to std and vice versa many times with no difficulties.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 19:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the block and piston assy as listed a built up shortblock complete with crank? If it has the crank perhaps the difference is something like whether the factory installs a pilot bearing or not.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 20:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
well this is what i think i am going to do. go get this 288 complete in Sacramento. take the crank and rods from this 'Field" motor and get them Mangnafluxed and maybe balenced to use in the 288 that will be my ' rebuilt "" original "" i will have the old number milled/ground out and my 4K010289 ( number of the original motor from the glove box slip found intact. ( i will bring in the 'field' motor to the rebuild shop and have it tanked and see what the machinist says about it. if it will survive a sleeve. and my wallet survive his response.

Eddings > here in Los Angelse ( the valley) sounds like a good place. I am actually from up north. even though i am been dwon here in Hollywood for ten years or so... haven;t had any machine work done. just found a real " radiator shop.. not like it use to be .

things have sure changed

Posted on: 2013/4/14 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In an earlier discussion, I believe we thought that the Ultramatic equipped 327s came with hydraulic valve lifters and the manual transmission ones came with mechanical lifters. Would different lifters require a different block, even though the engine numbering would not reflect this difference?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/15 10:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
james; if you want i have a 327 block, head and manifold for your car, all you have to do is bore it and use your crank and rods to rebuild it and you will have a new 327 for your ride. i used the crank and rod for my woodie project. dell

Posted on: 2013/4/15 20:38

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
that is what i was going to do. A friend from Sacremento said he had a running 288. so i was going to get it and have it rebuilt with the 327 crank and maniflold. and have the right numbers stamped. while the running 288 stays till the other one is done. then My big girl does not have to sit without a motor. just a swap.. do not know anything about the hydralic/mechanical lifter question. i will research.
the 288 has mechanicals
the new 327 must have hydralics

Posted on: 2013/4/16 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

James Russell Packard III wrote:
and have the right numbers stamped

Uhm, I think that might be a bad idea. Essentially, you are creating a numbers matching car that is not a numbers matching car. To me, that is probably fraud (perhaps not in the legal sense) unless thoroughly documented and conveyed to buyers.

Just something to think about. BTW, I am not accusing you of potential fraud, I believe you are trying to do the right thing regarding the car.

If I am way off base, please let me know.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/4/16 11:54
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
BEING A FRIEND OF BILL : as of nine years today. Any crime is dearly repressed.
I dont know what else to do. and it is my car . and always will be unless i set fire to it with my dead body 55 miles outside of Ely Nevada... with Hookers dancing on the hood naked , and everybody getting Irish drunk Wake style.

My idea of a Viking/Native American Funeral

the original motor was K410289

MY LUCK WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE CONSIDERABLEY to find that block.
and K4 BLOCK WOULD DO and if i find one great..

fraud would be if i sold it ...without telling them / that is highly inlikey.
besides...
52 200 deluxe are basically worhtless in car collecters pavillion... who would care.

the only people that like them are right here... Big Kev and the rest of you guys...
and you are all Seniour fans. long wheel base cars

me i would like to have a juniour 52 business coupe

but this 52 200 deluxe is my "Big Girl" and i think i am stuck with her....
considering my name and all
( the picture is of the latest damage... " o the Humanity "

Attach file:

jpg  (74.77 KB)
1374_516d9a4228a54.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/4/16 13:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved