Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 to 12 volt conversion on 49 sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Hey guys, been thinking about upgrading to 12 volts neg ground. What are the steps involved? I found a website that offers a 12 volt gen that'll fit from what it says. I'm already assuming a regulator, ignition coil, bulbs will have to be swapped as well, but what else? I have a little less than a grand to do it. Only thinking of upgrading for a modern stereo to place under the seat. Btw the gen I found was priced at 400 bucks. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I previously had a small converter I bought on eBay the last packard I had, and had bad results

Posted on: 2013/4/24 8:28
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 to 12 volt conversion on 49 sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There's a thread here that might be of some assistance.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've been running one of those 6V pos gnd to 12V neg gnd convertors in my 38coupe for the last 4 years and it runs my 12V AM/FM radio with no problems (of course it's not a 500 watt unit). I also installed a 12V lighter socket to charge the cell phone or run the GPS and it works just fine.

I would be interested in knowing what problems you encountered.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 9:21
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Great news! I started the 49 today it ran nice and quiet. No smoke. Not sure if its charging running neg ground. The charging gauge was fluctuating back and forth than stayed on the d side. I placed the cables back into its natural position pos ground but made a whirling sound while running. Gauge was showing charging, but my dmm was reading 6volts still at the battery, a running engine should show 7 or more right? If I keep it neg ground and polarize the gen, will it damage anything?

Posted on: 2013/4/24 16:26
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Never mind guys just found the info on an old post.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 16:34
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If you just want to run an entertainment center...tho better off with an iPad...
look at the bottom of this thread and the following page. With pictures.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9011&forum=1

I installed a 6-to-12 converter box next to my battery (under the seat in a 40) and attached it to a cigar lighter. I just plug the iPad/iPhone or whatever into the lighter socket.

Also on this page are other converter options:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=300

You can never have too much info.

Joe

Posted on: 2013/4/24 18:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
Hey 1 out of 14 Chevies,
This might be sacriledge but what type of Chevies do you have? I have a bunch. Curious. You can pm me as this isn't the HAMB, and is a site specific to Packards.
Rustjunkey

Posted on: 2013/4/26 20:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved