Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 152

JD in KC, Alvin14, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gearshift repair question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone care to speculate on what material the casting at the top of shift tube might be. Probably was the same from at least 1940 thru 50 and maybe longer. I had thought it to be potmetal or zinc diecast, chrome plated on this one, but turns out to be mildly magnetic. The tube is definitely steel. Can't quite determine what they might have used on the cast piece since even the broken piece off by itself is slightly attracted by the magnet. Usually zinc or aluminum castings are not.

At any rate, since the break is hidden under the rubber am going to try my hand at a repair. Some Muggy Weld rod and probably a reinforcing plate screwed on over the entire broken area. If it works, fine. If not I'll be looking for another shift tube. For anyone with stuck shift levers, that break is one of the results of force trying to move them.

Speaking of Muggy Weldhttp://muggyweld.com/super-alloy-1 has anyone used it? The propaganda looks good and I like the temperature range and the claim it bonds to dissimilar metals. I know some of the pot metal repair rods are a waste and just wondering if this might be too.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.34 KB)
209_518592b943c5b.jpg 640X536 px

Posted on: 2013/5/4 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Gearshift repair question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Belieive it is steel which can be verfied with a magnet.

Glue probably won't work. I would take it to a good welder / machinist who can then redrill and dress it in a mill.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
HH56 - I have had pot metal welded - so I know it can be done - You just need to find the right repair person.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
DIY is certainly worth a try as they make it all appear easy to do on their instructional videos. I have Muggyweld rods I bought years ago but haven't used them yet (- on a broken potmetal grille).

Hope it works aok for you.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Given the break pattern, I would say that is pot metal. As the name implies, pot metal could be a variety of different components. Perhaps this is why there is some residual magnetism.

Is the piece under stress? If not, then soldering might be a good idea. If under stress, how about brazing? It is a little cooler than welding.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:05
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved