Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

Nevada56Hudson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 47 Interior plastic color questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
So if it's not a white stripe wonder what the difference is between painted trim and chrome trim to warrant two part numbers -- the paint distinction being used on the lower end models. Fact book has the same description of the chrome louvers with silver on Deluxe 6 and 8's as they do on Supers and Customs.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 8:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I've wondered if the difference is just a lack of chrome on the 'Paint' version leaving the raw pink-beige plastic. A similar question was asked here.

Edit: or is it pink-beige paint over metal? I'd always assumed it was plastic.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 9:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
I've wondered if the difference is just a lack of chrome on the 'Paint' version leaving the raw pink-beige plastic. A similar question was asked here.

Edit: or is it pink-beige paint over metal? I'd always assumed it was plastic.

I don't know. Can't say as I've seen plastic trim or at least none that was obvious. Near as I can recall the dashes on the Clippers I've been around have all looked the same -- chrome with a duller finish in the spaces between the bright chrome.

My trim pieces on the Custom are all die cast so maybe that is the distinction. Were they able to chrome plastic back then or was it a "chrome" paint on plastic?

Posted on: 2013/7/21 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's an example of what I have seen in the past (only all the chrome was pink-beige. I guess it is painted metal then.
Edit: adding a photo of complete 'pink-beige' dash.

photo credit: Featuredcars.com

photo credit: Bringatrailer.com

Attach file:

jpg  (45.17 KB)
188_51ebf59b36ff8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.79 KB)
188_51ebf7c12bbbe.jpg 580X429 px

Posted on: 2013/7/21 9:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Have never seen one with the painted dash. Somehow I think the top photo might be an anomaly. Can't believe Packard would have two toned like that.

Now the question is which was standard and which was option. Parts book would lead you to believe the painted was standard on Deluxe models. Since there are Deluxe models with the chrome, obviously that was available too so what determined the difference or was that or the paint the upgrade.

EDIT: I guess the distinction is between a 21st series 1946 year base 6 and 8 and the deluxe 8. Don't know if there was a deluxe 6. The 46 base 6 and 8 and the taxi's are listed for paint while all others are chrome. Wonder if any early 6's or 8's have chrome?

Posted on: 2013/7/21 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The wood grain finish on that instrument panel looks new. My bet is that the panel was refinished and the center grille was painted to try and match the plastic rather than have it re-plated.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/21 10:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
For what it is worth-I have been told that the silver color on the indented chrome parts both inside and out is Argent Silver. I was using steel wool to remove it thinking it was oxidized chrome!

Posted on: 2013/7/21 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
For what it is worth-I have been told that the silver color on the indented chrome parts both inside and out is Argent Silver.

Thanks for the info -- very helpful. By chance have you or anyone else tried any of the rattle can Ford color "Argent Silver" wheel paints Plasti-kote and Eastwood among others offer. I'm wondering if the wheel paint would stick to chrome or stainless better than the typical Silver paint from the hardware store.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 12:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information

Posted on: 2013/7/21 13:18
Dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have not tried any of the various paints offered when you google argent silver. I did stop trying to remove it from my chrome parts inside and out!!! I donot know if Krylon offers argent silver-I think Napa and pep boys sells it

Posted on: 2013/7/21 13:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved