Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

37Blanche, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: PT Boat
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I remember reading one of Ralph Stein's wonderful books about classic cars, published back in the '60s. In one of his Packard chapters, he brushed over the Company's War II production as "military gewgaws."

Maybe that's a bit flip. But let's not forget that Packard's focus from 1941 on was military work, the cars downright incidental in the 1942 annual report. Packard had what some automotive historians cite as the best manufacturing machine shop in the world, a view shared by
even those over at Clark Street, certainly at Rolls-Royce, many of whose buildings still had dirt floors throughout that decade.

Packard refined and improved the Merlin and produced the big V-12s propelling the PT and Army rescue boats, based on existing marine racing engines.

But Dr. Cole raises some good points about their inefficiency. Packard, like the rest of the auto industry,
"did their part," the best they could. Packard was also handsomely p a i d for this work and was one of only two automakers to emerge profitable from the war.

Packard's legal counsel, Henry Bodman, rewrote the Merlin contract so it became the basis of all US military contracts. With 49.2% of each and every one of our federal tax dollars going to an unaudited Pentagon today, who continues to make weapons to fight last century's wars under openended contracts, well, dunno 'bout you, but i'd rather keep a little more of my money to play with my Packard.

When Henry Ford, despite his later dementia, wisely paid his workers five dollars a day, Packard's president, Alvan Macauley, accused him of running "a charitable institution."

The noxious (Frederick Winslow) Taylor time and motion studies and implementation began at Packard in 1909. How happy would you be working like that? They weren't running a hobby shop.

After the war, Packard, addicted to military largesse,
increasingly focused on jet engines, and began phoning the cars in, Ultramatic being the Company's only self-engineered offering, Torsion Level from an outsider, Bill Allison.

The war killed a lot more than 60 million people worldwide. It killed the Packard Motor Car Company, the promise of the sleek Clipper--- Clipper ragtops like the one-off Darrin built for Errol Flynn, Clipper woodies by 1943.

There was color television at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. To this day, most film buffs and critics agree 1941 was the best ever single year for great movies.
FM radio was underway. The immediate prewar cars from most automakers were increasingly sophisticated, to drive one in original mechanical fettle that hasn't been buggered is a rare treat dear few know.

I know one of the nation's foremost Merlin rebuilders, who flies his own P-51. Years ago, he decided he wouldn't rebuild anymore Packard Merlins for the usual cowboys running them at twice their wartime take off and emergency rating manifold pressure 'til they blow up at the Reno Air Races.

Hearing such an engine fire to life, that distinct crack as it makes a low altitude pass, or seeing a PT boat skip over the waves, stirring. Of course.

But Ralph Stein may've summed it well, for those of us who are autoholics. Most War II combat vets i knew rarely wanted to talk about the war. They were too busy living their lives. Packard never got back to living their life. Not really.

Meanwhile, Dr. Cole makes some good points which have been glossed over,
and the below's interesting:

The One Best Way: Frederick Winslow Taylor and the Enigma of Efficiency by Robert Kanigel; New York, NY: Viking , 1997. xi, 675. {Note: There is a new paperback edition published by the MIT Press, 2005]

Robert Kanigel is an author, journalist, and professor of science writing at MIT.

Robert Kanigel's book explores the life of Frederick Winslow Taylor, the original champion of time-and-motion studies. In many modern management and manufacturing circles little is known about Taylor, the father of "scientific management" or "Taylorism," as his principles came to be known, yet his impact is far reaching. In Kanigel's words, "Today it is only a modest overstatement to say that we are all Taylorized, that from the assemblyline tasks limited to a fraction of a second, to lawyers recording their time by factions of an hour, to standardized McDonald's hamburgers, to information operators constrained to grant only so many seconds per call, modern life has become Taylorized." Peter Drucker suggested Taylor, alongside Darwin and Freud, was one of the most prominent figures "in the making of the modern world."

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have to agree with Su8 that nothing sounds like the P-51 Mustang and the Spitfire. However, that is on the ground. Up in the air requires hearing protection and there is no heat in those things so you freeze.

The radial engine Sherman tank sounds great too and the multi-bank is awesome.

But these things are weapons of war. One way to take care of foxholes is to pivot the Sherman, Pershing, or whatever on top it.

Actually, if you consider the phony baloney money policy today the government is way over their heads. The average household's real net worth is lower than 40 years ago, but patriotism is higher than ever.

As for Ford, well perhaps the Model T is he best car ever made for it's time. At least that is what a Duesenberg owner once told me.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Did someone mention the Packard powered Miss America boats?

If you want to see Miss America X driven by Gar Wood, then (shameless plug for the 2013 PAC National Meet coming) you can see her at the Packard Proving Grounds.

She is now on semi-permanent display at the PPG courtesy of her owner Hank Mistele. As a two-time winner of the Harmsworth Trophy she carries a lot of history.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (133.29 KB)
436_51afb0f310fea.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (126.71 KB)
436_51afb12a1e846.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:44
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You have to wonder how many gallons per nautical mile that boat gets!

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I previously worked with a fellow that moored a vessel in San Diego. We've lost touch since retirement. He and his wife however each year attended at jazz festival in Avalon on Santa Catalina Island. He commented to me that once that his boat was powered by two GM 454 V8 marine inboard engines. If I remember correctly, he told me his boat used 2 gallons of fuel for each mile traveled in calm seas too. I don't recall how much capacity he had, but he always refueled in Avalon.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Damn....that a lot of petrol. 26 miles to Catalina (or so the song says), so at least 52 gallons each way.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Damn....that a lot of petrol. 26 miles to Catalina (or so the song says), so at least 52 gallons each way.

If Wikipedia is to believed then a PT-Boat needed 200 gallons to Catalina (at cruising speed).

"...The consumption rate for each engine at a cruising speed of 23 knots was about 66 gallons (250 l) per hour (200 gallons [760 l] per hour for all 3 engines). However, at top speed, consumption increased to 166 gallons (628 l) per hour per engine (or 500 gallons [1,890 l] per hour for all 3 engines). ..."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hTVtaO3whiA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2013/6/5 20:54
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Gerd, Great photo, but are you showing us the whole picture? ...

John, yes, that's the whole picture but the half boat.

Quote:
...that photo was taken after winning the 1928 Harmsworth trophy, photo from the NAHC Collection at the Detroit Library...

Dave, I found it at the National Dutch Archive, saying that it shows "father and son in white overalls and motorcycle glasses on board of a ship with (presumably) a special Packard motor; unknown photographer"

Posted on: 2013/6/5 21:25
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Also a shameless plug for the Geneseo Airshow July 12, 13 and 14th. It is going to be a Merlin show this year. Avro Lancaster, deHavilland Mosquito, Spit, Hurricane, P51D are among the featured a/c.

http://www.1941hag.org/Geneseo-Airshow/index.html

The classic car show will get you and one guest in for free with your Packard. East Grand Packards should be showing up in force again this year. Mark Schleicher's very nice 40 110 from last year.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.53 KB)
2260_51aff4f5b721a.jpg 602X400 px

Posted on: 2013/6/5 21:33
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, Yes, the words will trip up every time. One must be careful what and how one says it and to who is listening. Be correct and be respectful.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/5 21:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved