Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 188

BDeB, Charles, Chuck McDonald, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Autolite vs Delco Gens and Regulators
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
Gents,

I have an Autolite Generator on my 23rd series Super 8. The Voltage regulator had failed. I ordered a Delco replica Voltage regulator instead of an Autolite replica. Is this safe to use? It is charging pretty aggressively, but I have only run it a minute. That may just be catching the battery up from starting the car and setting for a week.

I hate to abandon the new regulator if it is not appropriate (I paid good money for it!). Is there a resistor or such that can be put in the circuit between the field and the regulator that can tone down the charge rate? Does anyone have a guess as to how long is it safe to run at high charge (most of the way up the ammeter)?

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/7/1 14:45
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Re: Autolite vs Delco Gens and Regulators
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe original equipment for a 23rd series Super 8 was a Delco generator, 1102717. Adding a resistor will not solve your problem. Usually the first thing to be irreparably damaged by running a constant high charge rate will be the battery.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
They came with either an Auto-lite or Delco Generator. My generator is an Auto-lite GDZ 4801 35 amp gen. Attached find a piece of a service book for 2300 series Packs.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.34 KB)
8203_51d1ea0841412.jpg 302X219 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:43
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
John,

In repair books, the generators and regulators are paired up by brand. It's a system. One of the first things to do before connecting everything is to fully charge the battery. You may not have a charger, so it's possible that the generator is catching up the battery.

Then after connecting everything, before starting the car, you must polarize the system. It's done differently for different generators. On my Auto-lite system, you connect everything, then touch the B or Battery terminal of the voltage regulator with the A or Armature terminal of the regulator, for no more than 2 secs. You typically get a spark and it's done. Then start the car. Run it up enough to show a full positive charge or take it for a drive and watch the ammeter. When the battery is charged, the needle should return to 0.

Of course there are mechanical adjustments you can make to bring the regular into spec with the generator. My regulator was $66 from NAPA.

Joe

Posted on: 2013/7/1 16:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
I went ahead and let the car run a little longer, and the ammeter backed off appropriately. So All is WELL!

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:23
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I had some charging problems last year and eventually replaced the regulator with a new old stock Delco - Remy of the proper Amperage rating. You want to be sure the regulator will handle the Amperage which is a good 45 Amps for my 54th series.

My car had a replacement regulator and the cutout contacts were way to light to carry 45 Amps.

The generator then failed and I replaced the Armature with a nice rebuilt.

There is a man on this forum that has the parts and does the rebuild work if you are interested I will dig out his contact info.

6 volts at 45 Amps is 270 Watts if you do the math.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/7/1 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear JGR:

The dashboard ammeter is only a charge indicator. Do not use it as a guide to the charging rate.

You can buy a hand held inductive ammeter to measure the actual charging rate.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 8:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved