Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Interior Material Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Hi Folks,

I've got my car just about all the way down, and have been getting estimates on body and paint. Body gutted and is all but off the chassis.

I had original interior that wasn't in bad shape, but had some tears and what not. The material is the Tan Stripe Broadcloth. I thought I had a match with Labaron Bonnie 15-36. It's close but not it. The swatch sent shows the stripes much more prominent than the subtle dotted lines of the original.

I've tried a few other sources with no luck.

Because I don't want to devalue the car, if I can't find it, what should be used? While it's a junior car and not recognized as a "classic", I'm curious what the "rules" are. I see some folks are going all solid with the door panel and seat back material, and that's looks OK.

Thanks,
Rich
1941 Packard 110 Special
Chickory Green Poly

Posted on: 2013/7/14 9:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Interior Material Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Try Bill Hirsch.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Been there and done that. LOL. Here's the compare..

[img width=300]http://rrichk.smugmug.com/Other/packard/30536801_H4CZWX#!i=2634386206&k=sK4PcQ2&lb=1&s=M[/img]

[img width=300]http://rrichk.smugmug.com/Other/packard/30536801_H4CZWX#!i=2634387243&k=sLBH6Mm&lb=1&s=M[/img]

We have to spend some good coin to get these interiors done, so I want to make sure I don't devalue the work. I'm also worried that a whole seat of that would look much louder than the swatch but would like opinions.

Thanks,
Rich

Attach file:

jpg  (95.05 KB)
4994_51e3054de4eb0.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Maybe check with SMS
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
Be patient.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Yup, tried them as well. Samples were much farther off.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Rick:

You are right to be concerned. Most restored cars are not authentic. Solid colors were dominant in the Senior cars through 1939 and the exact material is not available.

I was looking at some Jay Leno video about a Duesenberg and I couldn't believe that the supposed foremost Duesenberg restoration shop chucked the tufted broadcloth in favor of pleats. Why not vinyl for the front?

I don't think you are going to find a match. But you might try a custom tailor who has order books. You might find a blend that is closer.

Some of these material problems are acute but solvable. Brass era cars used shiny leathers and those are getting very hard to find.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Rich:

I understand your concern - that LB material has a rather "strong" contrast. You need something more subtle, more Packard-like.

The 1941 Packard Data Book (page 21) says the 110 Special had two choices in broad cloth. One, a tan stripe (yours) and a blue-gray stripe. Farther on down that page it describes some optional trim styles for a 110 Deluxe with multi-tone upholstery.

On page 23 they describe a dark green/light green combination where the dark green is in Bedford cord on the upper panel of the seat back and the front panel of the cushion. The light green is broadcloth on the lower panel of the (seat) back and the rear part of the (seat) cushion.

The advantage here is that you are dealing with solid colors. But it would be a compromise. You would have to decide for yourself if you put in an all broadcloth interior with strong striping, or an interior that was an option for the Deluxe and apparently not the Special.

Or another way to put it is; what would be more noticeable by the "judges"? Strong stripe or a Special with multi-tone upholstery?

BTW, take a look at this thread:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11613&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 It would appear that the owner used the LB material you are reviewing. Might give you an idea of what the end result would be. Click onto the photos to zoom in.

Good luck. -Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (83.87 KB)
436_51e3435732735.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (72.32 KB)
436_51e3436f91f3c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/7/14 19:33
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Thanks Roger,

That's yet another flavor. I got a swatch of that from SMS. Ill post later a compare. Those photos were exactly what I ess thinking of when I stated "loud". It ok, but not subtle as intended.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
A couple more...

Attach file:

jpg  (85.78 KB)
4994_51e38c75e84ad.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (56.05 KB)
4994_51e38c954e9c2.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (93.21 KB)
4994_51e38cab6584b.jpg 721X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/7/15 0:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You only want to do the multi-tone if your car is two tone and has a painted dashboard and painted window trim.

Some of those new swatches aren't too bad. Don't forget as well that the colors have faded.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 6:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved