Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust manifold leaking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Greetings,
My 1953, 2662 with the 327 engine has developed an exhaust manifold gasket leak. I'm willing to change the gasket. Having said that, I read the procedure in the service manual, checked here (Packard forum search) and "confidence is high" this is (for me) is a 2 or 3 hour job.
Just to be sure.
remove head pipe from bottom of exhaust manifold.
detach assorted gas,elect wires at carb, linkage, etc.
remove nuts holding the manifold unit (exhaust/intake) and remove as one unit.
replace gaskets.
rebolt manifolds to block.
replace disconnected hardware and reattach exhaust pipe to bottom of manifold......

Will I be able to reuse the exhaust donut or should I get a new one?
If there's anything I missed or any additional steps please respond.
Thanks

Steve

Posted on: 2013/7/14 16:06
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust manifold leaking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd certainly add one step.

After removal of the manifold set, check all the contacting surfaces from one end to the other with a long flat edge (or have a machine shop do it for you). It's not at all uncommon for exhaust flanges to warp; if so have them resurfaced as an assembled set sufficient to give a completely flat surface to present to the gaskets and engine block. Otherwise you may just run the risk of loosing another gasket and repeating the job.

And when you reinstall, remember that you have different expansions between the individual manifolds and the block itself as they have different operating temperatures so there needs to be a bit of freedom of movement between them - so follow the torque specification for the fasteners and use good quality nuts and washers.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thank you for the additional tips O.D. Also, should the manifold donut to head pipe be changed too? I guess that this gasket is a compression fit and it has already been pressed to fit. I'm thinking yes it should be changed too?

Posted on: 2013/7/15 17:55
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
OD is absolutely correct, if the manifold assembly machine surface is not flat then a new gasket won't last. If you have a concrete driveway and can confirm a good flat surface on it about twice as long as the manifold, you can true the surface of the by wetting the area of the driveway with soapy water, place the manifold surface on the driveway and then begin rubbing the manifold back and forth over the wet area. You would be surprised at how quickly you can true up exhaust manifolds using this method or combination intake/exhaust manifolds as long as they can lay flat on the drivaway surface.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Don't you scratch the living daylight out of the surface of your exhaust manifold on the concrete? Never heard of that method before.

Sounds like a flintstone way to me.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 8:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Unless you have to, do not disassemble the two manifolds from one another, as that is where you really can get the flange to block surface out of square.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
For Pete's sake! Take it to a machine shop and have it done properly!!!
I would have used a different expletive but Kev would rap my knuckles.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

BDC wrote:
Don't you scratch the living daylight out of the surface of your exhaust manifold on the concrete? Never heard of that method before.

Sounds like a flintstone way to me.

Its called being creative...its what people did years ago when the nearest city with a machine shop was a hundred miles away...considering the fact that machine surfacing is accomplished by one of two methods, tool bit or wet stone then wetting concrete and hand surfacing the manifold is no different than resurfacing via the wet stone method. I worked in the automotive machining business for many years and just by luck learned a thing or two about resurfacing machined mating surfaces and as archaic as it may sound, the method works...I said you would be surprised at how easy it is...anyone familiar with big block ford 352, 390, 360 etc. V8 engines knows that the manifold to head assemblies are cast iron to cast iron from the factory and ultimately the mating surfaces would fail from exposure to the heat. The most recent for me was about 3 years ago when I removed the manifolds from both heads on a '72 F-350 and applied the above method to them...it took about 20 minutes each to true the surfaces. The exhaust manifold side of the heads were still O.K. so after block sanding them, I applied a thin coat of high temp silicone to the mating surfaces, installed the manifolds and today there are still no manifold leaks and guess what?...I didn't have to withdraw a single dime from hip pocket national bank and it didn't damage the driveway one bit either but if you have plenty of money the machine shop will be glad to take it... geez...

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved