Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 130

humanpotatohybrid, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Block Heater Valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings, My friend JW has made my life easer with his assistance on over heating of my 42 356 ci. But now I need help on fixing or replacing my "heater valves" that shut off the water to the heaters under the dash and under the seat. There are 2 valves on the block one by the front of the head that controls the heater under the dash, the second valve is in the middle of the block, and controls the heater under the seat. Both turned clock wise and should shut off the water going to the heaters but the one under the dash is still getting water to the heater. Dose any one sell the valves for the heater on the head that I need, or must I block off the lines feeding the heaters some how. Thanks Dale

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Block Heater Valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
check with any plumbing supply house. If you can remove the shut off valve and take it in with you, it should be easy for them to match up.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You have an interesting car. My 356 head only has one connection for for the heater shutoff valve -- in the middle of the head. My heaters are in series and that outlet feeds the dash heater first and then exits and goes under for the floor heater, exits and back up to the front of engine to the return port on top of the water pump.

The valve is a universal type commonly available at parts stores. Assuming your 356 head and engine is tapped for the same fitting as mine, you need a 3/8 pipe for the head port and 5/8 hose to the heaters. I bought a valve at Autozone but theirs doesn't look much like the original. It was around $15.

The closest I found in universal to what might pass as more original looking is available at Napa and several other places. Prices are all over the place but Napa's is around $33. Here is Napa's plus a listing from another place that shows the specs.

Some of the antique car suppliers for other brands might have a more correct looking period item.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.74 KB)
209_51e9f64196ced.jpg 876X341 px

jpg  (23.91 KB)
209_51e9f64bcbe1e.jpg 613X334 px

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
A question Dale, before going too much further with this. Once the water has circulated through either heater how, or where, does the water return to the cooling system?

Posted on: 2013/7/19 23:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved