Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard Six Model 1700-1282
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
I am new to packardinfo. I am restoring a 1939 six - 4-door, the exhaust flange gasket supplied to me by Kantar has approx. a 2 inch inside diam., the exhaust pipe has an outside diam. of 1 3/4 inch, therefore, the gasket floats around the pipe and won't fit into the exhaust manifold- Kanter insists this is the right part - any experience with this problem ????

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Six Model 1700-1282
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If the inside diameter of the exhaust manifold is consistent and the parts all go together then I would call them back and tell them they must be making a mistake.

There is one number for the Six and one number for the Eight.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
JIMO,
I am not sure I can answer your question about the exhaust flange, but on my 39 six sedan, the tail pipe is flared outward such that the gasket fits between the widened flare and the exhaust manifold. Then, the two bolts pull up the circular bracket to sandwich the gasket. So, the diameter is that of the flare. DOes this make sense?

I love my 39 six sedan, restored everything on it myself, with the exception of the paint. It is a great car.

Happy to share any other experiences too.

Pat (ohio)

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day JIMO,
to PackardInfo.

And, I invite you to include your '39 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/7/22 17:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
Thank for the response, I am going to try to squeeze the gasket between the manifold and the flange. Also, would you have any pictures of your engine compartment - I purchased the car in pieces and have more parts than places to put them - I think I may have parts from the seller's previous project

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
I am looking for the dash dimmer reostat switch for this car - any leads to where I might find this part?? I tried Kanter will no luck.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Try Max Merrit. Best to call on this item. They are easy to work with. Let me know if you need any photos of a 39 120. Most of the items are in the same location, except for the two extra cylinders....

Posted on: 2013/8/6 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear JIMO:

If it's missing or you want another one send me an email and I can give you a good contact. Those things are notoriously trouble prone due to age.

If you are not fussy you can put both wires on the same terminal. Those lights are not bright enough to need the rheostat unless you build a time machine and go back to the days before WPA and street lights.

You can also repair the break by blobbing solder on it.

Also replace all the dash bulbs while you are under there.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
I could use what ever pictures you can supply - I have several items that appear to be braces - don't know if they are for the engine compartment or fenders - Thank for the help

Posted on: 2013/8/6 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
JIMO - the braces under the fenders are a truncated triangle, with rolled depressions in them for bracing. I'll go shoot you some photos. I bet you are also trying to figure out the splash panels that come out perpendicular to the frame towards the engines. These often were tossed out by the mechanics, as they make it harder to work on the engine. If you can take photos of your mystery pieces, you can post them here. I bet there are some folks out there who can identify them.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 15:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved