Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Jeff Williams, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Identify my fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
This is the fuel pump I just took out of my '51 200 coupe (288 cid). I cannot find any markings that identify it. I'm thinking it may be an aftermarket replacement. I'd like to get it refurbished, but don't know what kind it is.

Anyone know who made it?

Attach file:

jpg  (77.89 KB)
426_51ef474364226.jpg 720X620 px

jpg  (61.41 KB)
426_51ef4754f0743.jpg 720X524 px

jpg  (70.29 KB)
426_51ef476ce193e.jpg 720X607 px

Posted on: 2013/7/23 22:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Identify my fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi mtpackard51 aka Turbopackman2, I'm firmly convinced that our experts will help you as soon as time permits. To shorten the time you could skim over the project blog from Charles (51Packard). It contains a lot of information on how to identify another fuel pump. Perhaps you can benefit from the given information. It starts from "post" --> #490, intermittently extending over three pages until #513 and especially includes a --> fuel pump conversion chart, provided by Dave (O_D).

Additional I entrust you to check the following quotation from Howard (HH56), dated 2012/3/29:

Quote:
If no one here has a suggestion, Then and Nowhttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm has a chart showing AC pumps that can be downloaded. A couple of illustrations look close but as they mention, there could be many variations on a model. They offer to help identify pumps if numbers can't be found. Of course, they probably want to sell a kit also.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 22:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks for the links. It looks alot like the AC "CV" model from maritime drag racing. But it doesn't have this little thing (circled in red)

What is ist?

Attach file:

jpg  (21.19 KB)
426_51f01677a78d9.jpg 424X344 px

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When you get ready to overhaul it, try Terrill Machine in DeLeon TX. Good, fast and reasonable.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 13:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "little thing" circled in red is just a pulse dome and shouldn't be relied on to differentiate one pump from another. It can be present or absent on all manner of pumps though more common on earlier pumps back into the 30s. In your photo #2 there may be a threaded hole and plug in the fuel outlet where the pulse dome could be attached. As a practical matter it really makes no difference in performance if it's there or the opening is plugged as is often case. It's function was to minimize the pulses of fuel and make a slightly more uniform flow. Obviously later experience by pump makers and car manufacturers showed it wasn't worth the added cost.

What brand the original pump was should have no affect on having it rebuilt, just send it to a well-regarded rebuilder like Gould Rebuilders or Terrill.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, I agree and add the belief that its name was "air dome".

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:18
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If you look at BigKev's fuel pump rebuild how to, his looks a lot like yours. He has a '54. Maybe you have a pump from a later model car?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 18:54
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Don't worry about what kind of fuel pump it is....send it to Feltz Terrill @ Terrill Machine, Deleon, TX and he can tell you and send it back rebuilt. He has rebuilt all fuel pumps on all my cars--excellent work, reasonable

Posted on: 2013/7/25 13:04
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The arm is different than on the one on my '54 Clipper. My Clipper has a sliding arm saddle, this one does not.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 14:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks again for all the input. I've already made arrangements to send it off to Gould.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 21:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved