Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 PACKARD
Just popping in
Just popping in

FRED
See User information
HELLO MY NAME IS TOM FOWLER AND I HAVE A 1949 PACKARD.
I NEED TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A R-9 AND A
R-11 TRANSMISSION.

ALSO I NEED TO OBTAIN ELECTRIC SOLENOID AND OTHER PARTS
FOR AN ELECTRICAL OVERDRIVE.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 21:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 PACKARD
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
R9 4wires on solenoid. R11 2 wires on solenoid.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mechanically and electrically, quite different. For a mechanical description of the R11 download this tech articlehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO2.pdf For a complete rundown of the R9 it is detailed in a training manualhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Externally, the easiest way to tell without crawling under is R9 has a 6 wire black box relay on the firewall about the size of the regulator and solenoid and lockout cable is on the right or passenger side. The R11 has a 4 pole usually a natural metal color relay with a fuse on the side. It's about half the size of the regulator and it's solenoid and lockout cable is on the left or drivers side.

The Packard vendors Kanter, Max Merritt, and perhaps Patrician Industries and a couple of others will have most of the items. The R11 was used in more make of cars so parts are a little more plentiful and several multi make vendors can help on those.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Tom, or is that FRED?
to PackardInfo and for posting your query. I see you already have answers which will help with the identification required. Another thing, and I know Howard has tried to save you from crawling under the car, is that R9's have that cast into the OD housing and I presume R11's would be similar so a visual inspection of the OD unit may help too.

Finally, I invite you to include your '49 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/8/18 2:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved