Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

53 Cavalier, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6V battery cables - good source FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I just received a set of 2/0 GA 24" cables from "the PACER Group" out of Sarasota FLA. www.pacergroup.net (800)424-9549 They were only $56 for pair including shipping and I got them in 2 days. Really nice.
Modern, not correct for the purist, but really nice and functional. They have 4/0 also and red+ & black-.
I looked at making a pair and the cost of the wire was more than these and they are complete and even have the rubberized terminal covers on both ends.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 13:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 6V battery cables - good source FYI
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max sells cables that are also modern rubber covered wire but he places a length of old style woven fabric type wire loom over them to look period. If you want more correct looking, that might be an option if the loom is available in large enough diameter to fit over the 2/0. Don't remember seeing any loom larger than 3/4" at the repro wiring places selling complete looms and supplies but RJLhttp://rjlautofasteners.com/examples.html has 7/8".

Posted on: 2013/8/30 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I made my own cables using some very heavy but flexible wire from a junked out TV transmitter. This cable is about 7/8 inch and made of lots of very fine wires and is flexible and reminds me of heavy welding cable. No outside markings.

I slid a Piece of black Tech-Flex over the rubber covered cable and finished off the ends with heavy heat shrink.

For the ground cable I have a heavy piece of flat braided copper and I actually plan to use two together but have no installed this yet.

I want brass battery connectors noting there are actually two sizes of clamp. I believe all they sell are the smaller hole which could be reamed, they are made of lead.

Nothing is as important to the quick starting of the car as having the proper size of battery cables.

I use an Optima 6 volt battery. My car starts right up even when it has the vapors.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/30 17:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I want brass battery connectors noting there are actually two sizes of clamp. I believe all they sell are the smaller hole which could be reamed, they are made of lead.

RJL has "brass cast" in the descriptions of their battery terminals. Looks plated in their catalog but might be all brass under.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 17:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
HH56,

RJL???

Posted on: 2013/9/1 16:11
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sorry, left out the &. RJ&L Obsolete Automotive Fastenershttp://rjlautofasteners.com/examples.html

Posted on: 2013/9/1 16:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved