Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

scuff plates '49 - 2 dr
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks to this fine site, I found you can get original dwgs from the Foundation, so I don't have to make my own dwgs. I've got some ordered.
I'm going to investigate/attempt to have some made, at least one set for myself, unless they're astronomical$, as I found the only source has poor quality.
Is there any interest, beyond one set? so I can get a rough idea of how many sets might be needed?) These are the steel and ribbed rubber plates that lock down on the rocker panel slots/clips and have Packard on them. Approx 48" long by 4 3/4 plus the step plate.
I think they are the same 48-50. Depending on where I look, there's several 2 dr models 65, 75, 85, 95 that use these.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 16:09
 Top  Print   

Re: scuff plates '49 - 2 dr
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter used to advertise the 48-50 rubber sill plates. I see his catalog now says "inquire" so maybe he no longer does -- or are his the quality issue you refer to.

I was wondering about some as well since he also says inquire on the 47 item.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 17:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The rubber sill plates for the 22nd/23rd series were reproduced some years ago. I don't recall the project sponsor, they were expensive and sold out very rapidly and I don't believe the run was ever repeated. Maybe someone else has more recent information.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
joel ray was selling the step plate and might still have some, there was some questions as to who got the molds when the original maker divorced. as i understand the molds are worn out and produce some lines in the step plate. hope this info is helpful-i have a set in my 2259 and a set for my 2293, the four door set is not as good as the two door set. dell

Posted on: 2013/9/27 20:31

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI. Max & Kanter point to one source. That source is the one with the quality issue. They currently don't have any and apparently won't for some time. Other than that, I've come up empty. So this also helps flush out info - the story. Remember I'm a fish'n fool, and you have to lure 'em in sometimes. It's a good exercise anyway. With CNC machine and a set of drawings it shouldn't be a big exercise to make a mold for urethane rubber and the sheet metal is fairly simple. Can either make two piece and glue or mold onto steel like original but that's more difficult as you have to use the right compound/treatments to get adhesion. But there's custom people out there doing it looking for jobs. The clips may have to be re-engineered, but I already got that one figured. If I can get enough count, I might be able to convince a manufacturer. I'm not looking to go into business, per se. I already had enough of that. Now we know why GM uses sheet metal screws and aluminum.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 15:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the run made a few years ago sold out quickly, maybe a new batch would do well. We seem to be a period where 22-23 series cars are becoming popular what with several new ones appearing on the forum recently. Doubt all have pristine plates so there might be some interest. I would imagine it is a lot easier to make a mold now with modern CNC equipment than it was when the first batch was made. If that is the case, perhaps some could be produced and sold at a reasonable price.

I know there is a different part number but am curious what the difference is between 21 and 22-23 items. If something minor in the design such as a slightly different pattern that only a Packard expert would catch, then maybe others besides 22-23 would be interested in an "incorrect" set for driver cars. If something like size or a grossly different look then probably a no go unless a way could be found for affected parts to be molded separately and spliced together so a run could span more than one series.

I would consider a set if it would work and there were plans for a 4 door run.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 15:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The letters of the word PACKARD are smaller on the 21st series cars than the 22-23 series. The difference is not really noticeable unless you compare the two side by side. Don't ask me how I know. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2013/9/28 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I am very interested in a set. Last time I checked with the usual suspects the price was pretty steep. Seems like it wouldn't take a huge number to recoup costs. Please keep us posted, Mr. Jim.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 0:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The 41-47 letters are split instead of solid, "art deco like".

Posted on: 2013/9/29 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I just bought a set for my Series 23 4-door. They do not have the sheet metal so you have to do a bit of engineering to attach them. Also they do not fit perfectly so I had to trim them a bit with a disk sander to get them to lay down properly. The small lines on the part are hardly noticable.

The supplier suggested glueing them down with trim cement. That would work OK until you wanted to remove the chrome strip that covers the edge of the carpet. To allow access to this part I attached the sill plates to the door sill using strips of velcro. I was able to get 1 inch wide strips with adhesive in the back and they were easy to install. The car looks nice.

If anyone wants to own some old original sill plates with the sheet metal I would be happy to sell my old ones. $100 plus shipping would buy them all. Some clips are broken and there is some rust on the sheet metal. The edges of the plastic are broken off by the paint shop using a pry bar to try to remove them. The "Packard" lettering portion looks good.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 21:25
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved