Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

what goes here?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
47 Custom 356 engine. Arrow points to a plug with a stem and nut for clamping something. Nut and washer loose so appears to have been used previously.

Car has electric wipers so no vacuum tubes & I believe the only exhaust pipe clamp goes farther back on bellhousing. Don't find a location in the manifold for a fuel drain so just wondering what locates at that spot.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.15 KB)
209_5246f76e3e31b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/9/28 10:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: what goes here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear HH:

Take it out and check it. It is either a leftover from an oil pressure test or a restriction device that will increase gauge pressure by starving a worn rear cam bearing. That was an old used car dealer trick.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It's where the manifold drain (if you have one) and vacuum line gets connected.
Click to see original Image in a new window

I don't know of any other purpose. Looks like yours got moved one position forward. I'll have to go see where mine is.

Edit: I have the same nut/bolt/plug in the position shown in the factory photo. The rest of the plugs are of a different design than yours or those shown in the factory photo.

Edit2: Maybe it's just there to support the inclusion of the accessory vacuum antenna.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 11:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. Can't find any evidence of a drain port in this manifold so for the moment I'll go with it being unused on my engine. The rebuilder probably just put it back in the wrong location.

As for being used on the 21st series vacuum antenna, that is another sort of unknown. My vacuum supply was disassembled and I've only seen one partial photo of an antenna installed. Not even sure that photo was correct. Vacuum routing does not appear to be like the 22-23 series photos that were posted and the grommets are different.

The 47 photo appeared to have the vacuum supplied from the rear upper port of manifold. An unsupported tube which went up and angled slightly rearward for several inches before connecting to a hose. In my car there is a grommet just under the hood prop location almost directly above the manifold and port. Exit from the valve was hoses then via 2 metal tubes in the large grommet and more hoses to antenna. The third hole in the grommet was for the antenna lead wire.

Unless someone can say or show differently, will go with that plan -- although I think that metal tube is sort of vulnerable just sticking up in the air. May try to make it closer to the body and less out in the open. I am wondering with the tube being unsupported, was there enough engine movement to make it prone to cracking or twisting and then leaking at the connections.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 13:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Howard-that is the question I emailed you about-what does the tube that exits the intake look like. I have all the other parts-flexible tubing etc still in place on my car. I have found a vacuum antenna-has a 3/4" with 3/4"-28 threaded portion(that sticks up thru the fender)-I think that agrees with what was used on 22-23 series. Yesterday radio has the bezel for 22-23 but not the 21.

Question-does fender contour of 21 compare with 22-23
Does the vacuum antenna have a 1 portion that sticks thru fender?

I will send you a pic of what I have

Posted on: 2013/9/28 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
These are the only photos I could find of the 47 vac antenna source. Don't remember if someone posted them here or if I grabbed them off ebay cars. I believe it is two different cars so might be representative.

I can see where they would have to get the hose above the exhaust manifold so the metal tube extension seems OK but just to have it flopping seems un-Packardlike. My grommet into passenger side is exactly the same as this.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.26 KB)
209_5247362680ca6.jpg 672X514 px

jpg  (74.46 KB)
209_524736355dcac.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/9/28 15:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
appears to be same as mine esp the bottom photo-I sent you pics of mine via email

Posted on: 2013/9/28 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Howard,
I don't mean to change the subject but I'm curious about what appears to be a portion of a heat shield that was captured in the photos. Was a heat shield included on the 356 to help reduce the chance of a hot engine boiling the fuel in the carburetor bowl after it was was turned off?

Posted on: 2013/9/28 19:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, and thanks for reminding me because mine is missing and I need to make something. In addition to the shield, the carb also has the thick insulator block under it.

Here's a couple of photos (not sure where they are from -- maybe ebay cars) showing the complete assy.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.75 KB)
209_52477c8496335.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (108.04 KB)
209_52477c9be75f1.jpg 1066X800 px

Posted on: 2013/9/28 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
The second picture is of my Maroon Packard and here's a couple more pictures of that area in question.
Also what would be the correct spark plug wire ends? Straight, 90 degree and covered or not, or does it matter?
The third picture is vacuum line from intake to firewall.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (38.31 KB)
1003_52483432219c7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (50.10 KB)
1003_524834470c594.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.83 KB)
1003_524834556b39f.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2013/9/29 9:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved