Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Kenbwisc, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: ITS ALIVE!!!
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You have a Standard Ultra, so there is no automatic Low > High (Convertor) shift. Only the Gearstarts (late 54) and Twin-Ultras (55-56) do that.

You have a low gear. Which if it isn't engaging, I would think a band adjustment is needed. But if the indicator is in high this is the order of "shift" event.

Stop > Convertor (High) > Lockup

The Gearstarts and Twin-Ultra have two driving positions as such the "Events" are as follows:

* (DOT/High): Stop > Convertor > Lockup

or

D (Drive): Stop > Low Gear> Convertor (High)> Lockup

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
53packar, Let me take a shot at an explanation.

Yes, in a sense the transmission is "shiftless" in that what many perceive as a shift is the direct drive clutch engaging. This occurs in both Low and High ranges. But in Low range and band applies to stop the rotation of the planetary drum, thus forcing the planet gears to provide a reduction in output gear ratio. So, no band application, no Low,

Posted on: 2013/10/30 14:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
YEAH!
That thing is cute! SLED material? It's already got the paint job and WWs.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'll go with Howard concerning low: try a band adjustment first; loosen the locknut on the forward adjuster and hold it still while tightening the adjuster to 20 ft lbs. Back off the adjusting screw 1 3/4 turn and tighten the locknut. If the adjuster just keeps turning farther and farther into the case, then one of the band struts has fallen out or something else is busted.

If one of the struts has fallen out you will find it laying on top of the valve body once you take the pan off. That said, I have never seen one fall off unless something else was seriously wrong, like the band lining was all gone.

If the band adjusts up properly and you still have no low, then the next easiest step is to check the seals on the servo that operates it. This can be done by removing the pan then the 4 bolts and one screw that hold the forward servo and yanking the piston out. Do not remove the valve body, just the servo. Often times at this late date the servo seals are fossilized as hard as Nancy Pelosi's smile and no longer retain pressure. They are available from the Packard vendors.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

53packar
See User information
Awesome guys thank you for the impute! I'll check out the band adjustment and post the results when I can.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 17:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved