Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 155

humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, Peter Packard, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1954 Packard Henney Station Wagon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
In 1940 the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette called it "full mechanical refrigeration cooling system".
Don't know if the link works for you.

And here the "weather conditioner".

That's the way to a 1940 1808 with Bishop and Babcock A/C.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 16:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The prewar AC units are fairly well documented. The one I'm curious about is the Henney implementation advertised for their 22-23 cars.

Packard dropped AC for immediate post war cars. When it was available again in 53 Packard used the GM Frigidaire (same as Cadillac's) unit instead of going back to something similar to the original prewar unit. Am assuming the prewar Packard unit was unavailable postwar so wondered who made the unit Henney installed. Also how it was mechanically configured and located in the ambulances.

With the seemingly total lack of engine components postwar for anything earlier than 53 for those trying to install AC on the S8's today, the compressor and belt drive on Henney engines are another curiosity.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 17:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56, the most knowledgeable Henney man I know of is Ken Chapmnan (PackardAPL) who frequents the PAC forum almost daily - why not give him a try?

Posted on: 2013/11/6 18:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Nolan Lee McCall
See User information
Henney teamed up with the Trane Company of Lacrosse, Wisconsin and introduced it on the 1938 Model 884 Ambulances. It was powered by a 115 Volt generator coupled to the motor. One of the first models was shipped to McAllen, Texas. It was a one-ton Freon based mechanical system where Packard used the Servel compressor belt-driven by the engine which eliminated the 115 volt generator and motor. This move by Henney was because Sayers and Scovill displayed the first air-conditioned Ambulance in May 1937.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 5:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for that information. The generator providing 110 bit is interesting. I didn't realize there would have been that small of a unit available back then -- either generator or Air -- or was it some huge monstrosity like the self contained unit Cadillac and others were playing with before Packard introduced their smaller trunk unit. Would be very interesting to see how it all came together.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The generator providing 110 bit is interesting

That's for sure! I wasn't aware that a generator could produce AC current, much less a constant voltage and hertz as the rotational speed varies. Love to hear more details about that.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 10:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The generator providing 110 bit is interesting

That's for sure! I wasn't aware that a generator could produce AC current, much less a constant voltage and hertz as the rotational speed varies. Love to hear more details about that.

Good points and I'd sure like to learn more too. I wonder if the generator was DC. They had the early Dynamotor setups to provide high voltage DC to the radios -- but that was low current. For an Air unit it would really need to up the current and size. Even if they had a regulator of some kind, you still have the problem just like the regular car generator of low output at low speed. Curiouser and curiouser.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Nolan,
for including your '48 Henney Hearse AND '38 Henney Hearse in the Packard Owner's Registry. I took the liberty of changing the descriptions for each one to Henney Hearse from the sedan descriptions selected from the inflexible drop down lists. Now all 6 of your Packards are included in the Registry, congratulations!

Posted on: 2013/11/30 13:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Super Station Wagon and Flying Sportsman - Henney advertising dated 1954.

Source unknown.
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (215.41 KB)
757_5821019419635.jpg 1203X1586 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 17:35
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ALLEN B. SIMONS
See User information
11-11-16

Hi JW,

Yes I had seen this Popular Science magazine's write-up for Mr. Feldmann's 1954 Packard station wagon.

It would be interesting to see the air conditioning specs for the installation and the method for cool air distribution.

Thanks,
archiveman2977

Posted on: 2016/11/11 15:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved