Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

No filters required
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I guess it wasn't dusty back in '54. After all, the dust bowl was over.

Not only does my '54 lack an oil filter, it also has nothing but a coarse screen for an air "filter." Now I'll be looking for a will-fit paper element if there is one in the right size. This is not an "oil bath" filter, it's just a big canister... for passing the dust through, I suppose.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 22:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: No filters required
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Guy - A modern pleated paper air filter element will be more efficient than the mesh filter. Just take the measurements of the mesh filter and match up one from your local parts store. It may involve opening many boxes, but you should be able to find one. Save the original mesh filter in case you want to be authentic for a show or for the next owner. Or, you could try and find an oil bath filter.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/18 22:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks JW, that's pretty much what I'd planned. Maybe some genius put the id, od and height measurements in a parts book, otherwise it's like you said-- start opening boxes that look about right. Have to find a patient, friendly parts person.

Luckily, the filter canister itself looks very straightforward and should accept just about any filter that fits and isn't too tall to get the wingnut started. I like the side screw and clamp setup for attaching the whole unit to the air horn.

I prefer the paper filter to the oil bath, and the K&N type to either. Maybe there's a K&N out there that will fit. That would be cool.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 19:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
You might start with a Purolator A30057 it fits my 47 Packard. I am surprised JW did not mention it since he is the inventor

Posted on: 2013/11/19 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I put a k&n in my 55 breather. Took some time to find the right size.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 21:48
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Do not claim to be the originator of this idea, but have modern pleated paper air filters on all my Packards (37 Six, 47 Custom and 55 Super). Puralator A30052 on the 37 Six and as mentioned, an A30057 on the 47 Custom. Forget the number I used on the 55 Super, but it was an Edelbrock. These were replacements for the filter elements that fit the oil bath types, don't know about the dry mesh type that you have. Just find a friendly counter person and start sorting through the shelves. Please post the make and number of the one you found for others here. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/19 22:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved