Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 233

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I'm a newbie, but learning fast.
Just popping in
Just popping in

danzboys
See User information
Packard crew-

I'm new to the site and to me Packard. I got it on a trade, my car was originally slated for the crusher and couldn't stand to think of someone crushing her. I had never considered a Packard in the past, but once I saw her, I just couldn't let her go. She is an all original 1956 Packard Executive, she is complete except for the radiator. It hasn't run in quite some time, but I have her at my mechanics and he's getting her ready to try and fire. More to come, she needs a bunch of work. Just hoping to get her driving again.

CDR D

Attach file:

jpg  (198.55 KB)
30028_528eb445d1529.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/11/21 20:33
 Top  Print   

Re: I'm a newbie, but learning fast.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dan

Good for you. That is a fairly rare car. The Executive was the last model introduced in the final 3 months of Packard production in Detroit so it is a significant auto. The 55 and 56 cars have an amount of innovations in them, it's amazing what Packard was still able to do even when they were flat on their back

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/11/21 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome to Packardinfo - glad to have you aboard. You will like this site and the folks in it who are very helpful with a wide range of knowledge.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Welcome to the group with that slick ride. Tons of 56 parts still available, need any help locating just ask tons of resources with the group here.

Happy Repairs

Posted on: 2013/11/21 21:46
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
While there are some detractors who refer to the Exec as a desparate attempt by Packard, I think they're a fine use of material. Since the Caribbean was a limited production model, even with the addition of a Hardtop, the Senior/Packard line was a little thin, with only the Patrician and Four Hundred, while some models in the Junior/Clipper line bordered on being redundant. Exec made for a nice transition.

For a little more background, see this site's Model Info page WRT your car:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?modelnum=5672A

Just remember the distinction between Junior and Senior elements when referencing the shop manual and parts book, but keep this site's Service Index to supplemental factory information. The latter was especially helpful WRT to recent discussion involving a running change in distributor equipment and specifications.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day danzboys,
to PackardInfo. If you're still looking for a radiator Gerry, packardssouthwest, in a recent For Sale ad had some available.

And I invite you to include your '56 Executive in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/11/21 23:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Welcome to Packardinfo. You will find plenty of support on this site and a lot of good folks more than willing to give you solid advice.

Your Exec looks like it is in reasonable shape for an unrestored car. It looks like it has some rust around the rear fender and rocker panels. A radiator shouldn't be any problem to find and install. Hopefully the engine is in good shape.

Now that you are a proud Packard owner, you should consider making the acquaintance of other nearby owners. I am a member of Old Dominion Packard Club, Packards Virginia, Mid-Atlantic Packard Club, and the national club. Mid-Atlantic and Old Dominion are quite active and the members are most excellent people who would welcome you with open arms.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/22 13:56
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

danzboys
See User information
Gents-

Thanks for the welcome, I really appreciate it. I have been reading articles all week about he Executive, trying to educate myself on the brand/ model. I agree that I might have a bit of a rarer bird. The car is actually in decent shape for being unrestored like someone said. It needs front fender corners and the one spot by the passenger quarter panel taillight is. The tray above the bumper mounts is toast as is the lower section of the trunk. Other than that, they ramen is perfect and the running gear is intact. Getting belts in the mail tomorrow and then a new battery, then we'll see what the engine will do. The oil in the air cleaner seems pretty newish and the motor will turn over easily with a wrench, so there's hope. I've already downloaded the service manual and placed it in three ring binders with dividers, so I'm about as ready as I can be. I would to meet other Packard faithful, just need to get her running first. More to come.

CDR D

Posted on: 2013/11/22 19:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

danzboys
See User information
Oh, forgot to say thank you for the radiator link. I've emailed Gerry and hopefully he has one for me, fingers crossed.

CDR D

Posted on: 2013/11/22 19:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul
See User information
If the engine hasn't run for a while I'd suggest that you remove the spark plugs and liberally lubricate all the upper cylinder areas with a light aerosol oil using a flexible nozzle extension. Then crank the engine a bit to lubricate the bearings before replacing the plugs. The 4GC carb will probably need rebuilding - the accelerator pump plunger has likely deteriorated by now. Pouring raw gasoline into the carb will get the engine started but isn't a great idea.

Posted on: 2013/11/22 20:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved