Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stromberg EE-23 carb drips......
Just popping in
Just popping in

Needy '36
See User information
Hello members: Does anyone have experience curing a '36 Packard Stromberg EE-23 carb that tends to leak excessive quantities of fuel into the intake manifold, and onto floor through drain tube; even after only idling?

Float level is correct; even tried reducing it slightly. New needle/seat. Float "floats." Fuel pump pressure is 5 lbs. No sign of cracks.

Carb was professionally rebuilt, but problem persists. Thanks in advance for or any insights.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 1:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Stromberg EE-23 carb drips......
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the fuel bowl vent is clear, biggest suspect would be the needle and seat, despite the fact that it's new. If the needle/seat is one of those Viton-tipped needles, I'd replace it with a steel/brass metallic set, or one of Daytona's new style. 5 psi fuel pressure seems mariginally high for the OEM-type mechanical fuel pump which typically is about 3 to 4-1/2 psi but even so a good needle and seat should hold that pressure.

PS - you should also check to insure that the automatic choke fully opens as the engine warms; it's not the least uncommon for some fuel to drip from the manifold drain tube during warm-up - that's why it's there.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Try turning ur idle down.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 9:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear needy36:

That is symptomatic of clogged main jet air bleeds and requires somebody with the special jet wrench to remove and clean them, and experience to avoid breaking the casting.

Thus you need to send the unit to either Daytona Parts in Florida, The Carburetor Doctor in Canada, or Classic Carburetors in Arizona. They should be able to help.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, I fully agree with you about the air bleeds but had (perhaps incorrectly) discounted that with the comment that the unit had been "professionally rebuilt". But that expression covers a lot of territory, a true carb professional would have serviced the air bleeds, so I guess we have to wait and see.....

To my mind, Daytona still stands at the top of list when it comes to carburetor rebuilds.

Posted on: 2013/11/30 11:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved