Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiper Conversion
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Mabry
See User information
Anybody had any luck converting vacuum wipers to electric. The car in question is a 56 Executive.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:17
Eight in a row, the only way to go.
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper Conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55-6 Chevy wiper motor is drop in for the V8's (with possible exception of needing some spacers) but hard to find and expensive. Newport Engineeringhttp://www.newportwipers.com/ has a modern kit but you will have to remove the original mechanical bowden cable valve control and modify a piece for the new electric switch. Unless you find the washer pieces for the Chevy motor or make an adapter for the Newport, both options will lose the co-ordinator for the windshield washer if that is a concern. Those conversions are shown in the last two pages of this thread and there is also a photo of a junkyard motor approachhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11642&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Another option is to have your vacuum motor rebuilt by Fickenhttp://www.wiperman.com/ to it's original specs and performance.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
No attempt on later cars. Successful on 40 junior electric to 39 vacuum.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's what I did on my 55 Pat.

http://1956packardpanther.com/Panther/wipers.html

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/10 0:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Spent about 6 hours driving in the rain a couple of weeks ago in my 56. The Ficken rebuilt vacuum unit worked perfectly and I enjoyed playing with the variable sweep and speed as conditions changed. All this for only $108. I like it.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 7:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Ross, I got trapped in a heavy rainstorm on my way to a Packard meet a few years ago. My original (not rebuilt) wiper worked fantastic. Up until that time it had never had a serious test. Properly rebuilt they will outlast us all.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The neglected item on those motors is they need oil periodically. The manual says to squirt oil into the motor while moving the blades back and forth to suck the oil in.

I would try that before going further.

I also knew somebody who swore by Rainex. They would put it on before going on a long trip.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Tim didn't mention it, but the technique is to remove the vacuum line and squirt some oil in the hole on the motor. I have always used Neatsfoot oil in mine.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 13:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Mabry
See User information
Update: The owner decided he wanted to switch to electric wipers so I installed a kit from New Port Engineering. Very nice unit, not cheap, but works great. Even kept the original knob.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 20:57
Eight in a row, the only way to go.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved