Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Suspension Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
markincoosbay -

Keep in mind that the 57 Windsor that you like so much had longitudinally mounted torsion bars. Chrysler continued to use that orientation up into the 1970s.

I think the problem with the Volare/Aspen and later Chrysler vehicles is that the bars were mounted transversely - much shorter. While that set-up might have been adequate for those compact cars, which were replacing the Valiant/Dart, I personally found it to be a terrible match to the rear leaf spring suspension in their later, "full-size" cars, which are nowhere near the size/weight of a Packard.

There might be some tweaks you could try on the stock Packard suspension, but you really should drive the car before even thinking about going down that avenue.

BTW, if you like torsion bars, you should take a 55-56 Packard with Torsion-Level for a drive sometime.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 14:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
The 57 was a sweet ride. 2 door hardtop, Shell Pink body,Copper Bronze metallic top. Great road car, plenty of power from a wedge engine and I love the graceful fins. Took me 3 cars and 5 years to finish.

Posted on: 2014/1/22 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity;
If u did not stubframe anyy of the 50's model CHRyslers that were restored then what could possibly be any reason to stub frame a Packard???

Posted on: 2014/1/22 16:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I'm with PackardV8 the suspension systles Packard used were at the very least on par with anything else from the era and in many cases were much better.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I had a 50 Newport once--the car had terrific buld quality and that drop-dead gorgeous dash. Sold it because it was no fun to drive; I found the handling very heavy in it and other 49-52 Chryslers and Desotos. Oddly not so in concurrent Plymouths and Dodges (or even earlier Chryslers).

Anyway, you will find your 51 Packard to be very light on its feet in comparison and you won't even want for power steering if you install radials. If you want to kick the handling up a notch, install a rear antiroll bar. My 51 is a genuine pleasure to drive, so equipped.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 12:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
With my 50's Chryslers - yes, they were very heavy handling. The Chryslers and DeSotos of the era with the Hemi engine were the worst - good power, but very heavy noses and poor brakes for that much weight and power. The power-steering was very light - somewhat unsettling compared to today's technology. Seemed like zero 'feel'. I agree on the build quality - almost overkill. What most manufacturers put together with 4 bolts, Chrysler Corp used eight. Very sturdy. I agree the Dodge and Plymouth models felt lighter - but most of mine had sixes.

I am encouraged with what has been shared by Packard owners. I am looking forward to seeing what my Patrician drives like.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
On those Chryslers if the aspect ratio of the tires is higher than standard they will have heavy steering. That is oversized tires increase manual steering effort.

While old American cars had light steering that can be modified using a different torsion bar in the rotary control valve.

For the ultimate in low steering effort my vote goes to the Rolls Silver Shadow. Those cars steer like an arcade game. The steering is so light and smooth so as to feel like there is no connection to the linkage.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Very good discussion. If only politicans would do this. We all take risks with these resurrections. I've been over this, what to do ?, daily for six + months myself. So I recommend not rushing into anything. Once you light that plasma cutter or torch it's game on. Measure twice, cut once, is for wood. For steel hurdling down the highway with your(or loved ones) rear(s) inside, is a bit more critical.
So if it's done right, safe, and adds value(to you), it's worth doing. GM, Ford, Mopar is just preference - good and bad in all - and even the best can be messed up with only good intentions. It was comforting though to see a '37 P Super 8 sedan resto mod bring more money than stockers @ Mecum.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 12:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved