Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

cooldude980, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1940 Super 8 180
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I asked for better pics from the seller and here is one. I think the paint from what I've seen is pretty good. That pic in the sun is just really bad lighting.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.08 KB)
1497_52e47c7387c27.jpg 992X558 px

Posted on: 2014/1/25 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Like painted with a roller? Surely...I wonder where I can purchase a roller like that!
The picture shows well. At 35K it's priced to sell.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It also needs springs.

I'm not trying to be rude, but when cars for sale is the topic the interests of prospective buyers is better served by illuminating that these cars are a hobby that requires significant financial support.

If the car in question was somebody's present hobby I wouldn't say a darn thing. But this car is for sale and the interest of readers is better served by casting a watchful eye.

There have been instances when I was asked to look at cars and I was far too lenient. Fortunately the amount of money wasn't significant, but it is a lesson well taken.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It would be best, if you're interested in buying the car, to look at it in person. Tim is sort of correct about the paint job and definitely correct about the running boards. I understand the rough paint job is being sanded and buffed out. Upholstery is decent, but I'm not sure how authentic the materials are.

It is a class 3-minus car at best. A good tour car with a quicky amateur paint job and some rust repair to the bottoms of the doors and fenders. Quick rattle-can spray paint to parts of the chassis, although the chassis itself looks to be solid and not scaled with rust. It is said the engine sounds and runs very nicely.

Average non-car person off the street would say, "neat old car." But they probably wouldn't say, "Wow, that is a nice car!"

Posted on: 2014/1/26 11:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm trying to always learn so bear with me. I've had thoughts about maybe buying the car but it's really far from me. How can you tell the running boards are bad? I can't hardly see any thing about them in the pics I've got. Will the sanding and buffing make the paint much better? Also, how can you tell the paint is that amatuer and how can you tell about the fender repair? Again, not saying your wrong I just want to know how to tell these things. Lastly, and I'm not anywhere to you guy's level in knowledge but from the pictures I received the interior looked nice. When you say it's decent what could be so much better? One more time, I'm not trying to argue seriously, I just want to learn more about these cars and the way things should be from the factory etc.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
I don't have the knowledge of the other folks giving replies nor do I know the car in question, but to offer some comments using my own carhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1281 for general education.

My running boards seem to be rubber sheet(s)glued to the metal base, looks ok, but my understanding is that the original was likely vulcanized to the metal base.

My interior looks good, was not cheap according to receipts that came with the car, but I believe it to be modern material rather than the wool that would likely have been original.

My paint looks great in the light color, however were the car painted a dark color I think certain imperfections would show.

For me, mine is a nice car, fills my needs, Sunday drives or maybe a local show, and probably the max of my budget, yet for a national Packard show I'm sure a judge would see those items that are not technically correct. Much will depend on your intended use and expectations.

I like the 180 always liked the big cars, missed a 40 or 41 180 years ago for the grand price of 75.00, but dad didn't feel inclined to donate the funds and perhaps wasn't fond of an old car being brought home to his new house.

Jim - jim@hiddenvalleymotel.com

Posted on: 2014/1/26 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Having a senior 1940 myself, can tell you this can get very expensive. Unless it is a high dollar convertible, and you can do most of the work yourself, be very careful. I was fortunate to get mine out of a barn in southern California over twenty years ago, so while needing restoration, there was no rust, and no body work. Most everything there. And at that time most parts available. Not so today. And when you can find the part, because it is a senior Packard it is going to be triple the cost. I am fortunate enough to have a small machine shop at my house, and can fabricate and do most of the work myself. Remember these take continuous tinkering to keep on the road. But, when right the 40 senior is the best driving car on the road.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
After many years of collecting the classics, I reminisce about the cars that I have missed along the way. The ones I should have owned.
The cars I've enjoyed the most, have been the #2 cars, the drivers. Not having to worry about the next scratch or imperfection. Looking forward to the next drive... Pure enjoyment...Bringing them up a notch, which has always been a learning experience.
It's hard to have that feeling with perfection.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Over the years while restoring the 40 kept in mine, that this is a driving car, knowing that the front fenders are going to get road dings, the seats and carpets getting a bit dirty from use, etc. But, would not have it any other way. If you have seen the 1940 Packard video "The Way Ahead" and remember hands off at 104 mph, on a few occasions have done that for just a few seconds, to show fellow collectors what a real car can do, from 1940. Haven't done that for some years now, and don't intend to do it again, but do take pride in passing the modern day imports on a steep uphill grade.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I appreciate all the responses and please add more if you have more to say. I like this car and I'm seriously thinking of offering in the high $20s and see what they say. I really think at auction or online it would bring in the mid to upper $30s but that's just my opinion. My thinking is because it seems to be a pretty rare sr. Packard.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 0:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved