Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

39Rollson, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

49 Axle shaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Does anyone happen to know what the thread in on the end of the axle for the drum nut? I need to make a puller to remove the axle. Unfortunately my car is not accessible at present time to check what it is. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 15:44
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Axle shaft
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the chassis. Either 3/4-16 or 7/8-14.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.46 KB)
209_52e5808cc4353.jpg 611X198 px

Posted on: 2014/1/26 16:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
You know, I looked for that and could not find it. Thanks again Howard for all of your valuable input. 2301 chassis, now I'm good to go.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 17:41

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Really no need to build a tool to pull out a reluctant axle and bearing. Remove the key, put the drum back on loosely, put the nut on about 5 turns, then use the drum as a slide hammer. Works every time.

Posted on: 2014/1/27 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Great tip on the removal of a rear axle Ross thank you. Does that apply for the 51 to 54 models too?

Posted on: 2014/1/27 13:37
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
That's a good idea! I have the slide hammer already, I was just going to make an adapter to fit it and the axle. I'll have to try that.

Posted on: 2014/1/28 7:16

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hi again guys. I need a little more assistance with my axle. I have purchased a complete rear axle for my car (2301, 1949) out a "48 to get an axle shaft as I have an issue with one of mine. I also would like to use the carrier assembly as it is out of a non overdrive car, and I have overdrive. It needs a new pinion seal. I've found the original number for the pinion seal (329655) for my car shown in the parts book at 12.012. I am unable to find anything for 2292 which is what car the axle came out of ( vin # for the car is 2292 9967). It shows the same seal for 2201 - 02 - 11 - 32 and the last number looks like 40. Could someone help me identify/ point me in the direction that I need to look to find a number that I can cross in to a current number to get the seal for the 22 series axle? Something else that I have tried to determine is the ratio of the 48 gear set. As far as I see, at 12.005, the tallest ratio is 3.9 for 22nd series, which, I was informed would likely be for a non overdrive car. I turned the pinion 2 full revs and the left drum (right stayed still) rotated one full turn plus about one inch past the starting mark. There's no way that it's a 2:1 ratio. What have I missed/ screwed up to get that kind of a count? Thanks to all who respond!

Posted on: 2014/1/29 12:14

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What have I missed/ screwed up to get that kind of a count?

You have to multiply the revolutions by 2.

Chassis part numbers are based on the chassis involved (2201) and not on the body style (2292).

You can spend a little more and make life simplier by just buying the pinion seal from Kanters or Max. Or if you like the challenge, just take the seal dimensions to a good counterman at an auto parts store. But I'll bet someone on here has already done the work for you. When you install, either replace the crush sleeve with a new one (they are hard to find but available) and install per the shop manual, or count the EXACT number of turns to remove the pinion nut, if not you'll upset the bearing preload (assuming it was correct to begin with) and run some risk of ruining the bearings and perhaps the ring and pinion.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
2292 is the body model number. Mechanical parts are listed by the chassis model number which is 2201 for body 2292. There is a model identification list at the front of the parts list that shows the cross reference. See page II for the 22nd and 23rd series information.

There is no current number that I know of for the seal assembly. The actual seal is separate and is pressed into a stamped outer housing that is pressed into the carrier.

And I see that Owen has answered your question on the ratio.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Ok, I see where I goofed as far as chassis and body. So the seal is the same. Measuring it would be my next step. I have changed pinion seals before and have done just what Owen states by counting turns and it has worked well. As far as the ratio, multiplying it by two would make it a 3.9, which is good for what I want to do, but what I don't understand is why multiply by two.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 15:34

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved