Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1947 Clipper 2dr. ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
Thanks, I could not get the photo to load in the registry. Taking car today for some interior work.Its not really to that stage yet but have another car to restore and don't want the Packard sitting idle. Needs to be finished for late summer.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 8:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Brian, (thanks) for tabulating the '42 models in Post #9...

No problem, Mal. All I had to do was perform a copy-n-paste from the on-screen list of models as displayed for 1942 to Notepad, apply a little editing to allow import of the text into a spreadsheet, edit the model names, and then paste the work into a post, here.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'll await confirmation of the naming conventions and undertake any massaging once agreement is reached.

Since my last post, I corrected some typos in the list that I originally provided. I also found and corrected an error WRT to body 894; though Model Info showed its chassis as 2008, it is actually 2007.

Meanwhile, I received some advance info on the 42 cars from BDeB. It supports my notion of categorization by Six, Eight, Super Eight One-Sixty, and Custom Super Eight One-Eighty. However, Packard also used 6, 8, 160, and 180 as shorthand in some notations. Then, it seems that Special and Custom distinctions apply Clipper models, but not the three carry-over models - two Convertibles and the Taxicab - in the 6 and 8 lines.

Yet, the official syntax for the full names of Clipper models still proves to be elusive. So, I've left 'Clipper' positioned in the nomenclature for the 6 and 8 lines as before - following the pattern that I've seen used, in print, more often for the 160 and 180 lines. I chose to retain the terms Special and Custom as a prefix for 6 and 8 models - in the same way as the term Custom is used to distinguish the 180 from the 160 line.

The revised list, then, is as follows:

2000 1582 Special Six Clipper Touring Sedan
2000 1585 Special Six Clipper Club Sedan
2000 1588 Special Six Clipper Business Coupe
2001 1592 Special Eight Clipper Touring Sedan
2001 1595 Special Eight Clipper Club Sedan
2001 1598 Special Eight Clipper Business Coupe
2003 1572 Super Eight One-Sixty Clipper Touring Sedan
2003 1575 Super Eight One-Sixty Clipper Club Sedan
2004 1562 Super Eight One-Sixty Touring Sedan
2005 1570 Super Eight One-Sixty Touring Limo
2005 1571 Super Eight One-Sixty Touring Sedan
2006 1522 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Clipper Touring Sedan
2006 1525 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Clipper Club Sedan
2006 1529 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Special Darrin Victoria Convertible
2007 1532 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Formal Sedan
2007 1542 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Touring Sedan
2007 _894 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty All Weather Cabriolet by Rollson
2008 1520 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Touring Limo by LeBaron
2008 1521 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Touring Sedan by LeBaron
2008 1550 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Touring Limo
2008 1551 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty Touring Sedan
2008 _895 Custom Super Eight One-Eighty All Weather Town Car by Rollson
2010 1502 Custom Six Clipper Touring Sedan
2010 1505 Custom Six Clipper Club Sedan
2011 1512 Custom Eight Clipper Touring Sedan
2011 1515 Custom Eight Clipper Club Sedan
2020 1589 Six Convertible Coupe
2021 1599 Eight Convertible Coupe
2023 1579 Super Eight One-Sixty Convertible Coupe
2030 1584 Six Taxicab
2055 1590 Super Eight One-Sixty Business Limo
2055 1591 Super Eight One-Sixty Business Sedan

Be advised that I've retained some of the site's own shorthand as evidenced in adjacent Years/Series for consistency (e.g. - Limo). That eliminates the potential problem of longer model names.

So, let me know if these model names are acceptable or if you have other evidence to support the need for further revision.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian and Brian,

Thank you both for the research and work you've put into identifying and clarifying the nomenclature for the '42's. Accordingly from my viewpoint, unless something comes along to the change your updated list, they can be put into production.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 13:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
As it was written, so has it been done.

I see that the changes in Model Info have dynamically updated the drop-down menu of the Add form for the Owner Registry, but it looks like you will have to manually edit a dozen remaining entries.

Not sure what can be doen with the '120 Henney Nearse, though, since there are no Model Info pages for such vehicles.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 14:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Thanks for the update to the drop down list. However on manually adjusting Model Names ran into a problem which you flagged up in Post #9 "Meanwhile, some of the longer names could end up a few characters longer than before. I only bring this up as I have no way of knowing whether that will pose a problem for any existing field width specifications." In manually adjusting the names, a maximum of only 30 characters can be entered. However, if creating a Registry entry from scratch about 56 characters are accepted before the name is truncated. Accordingly I have only manually adjusted those with Model Names which have 30 characters or less and left those with over 30 characters(ie most of them) 'as is'. I thought it better to do that rather than leave part of the description out. As to the Henney, unless and until information surfaces permitting closer identication of these, this will also stay 'as is'.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 16:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mal -

Thank the programmer for that dynamic update to the drop-down list - it's just how a well-planned knowledgebase should work, IMHO.

Quote:
In manually adjusting the names, a maximum of only 30 characters can be entered.

The 30-character entry limit sounds like a problem for upper management - hopefully just a change to the Registry Edit form(s).

Quote:
However, if creating a Registry entry from scratch about 56 characters are accepted before the name is truncated.

That explains the Registry entry for a (895) One-Eighty Super Eight Custom All Weather Town-Car by Rollso. Yet, the title (including the model number) is displayed in its full length in the drop-down list for the Registry Add form. I wouldn't be surprised if a change in field specification (length) will be needed for the file/table structure of the Registry records, which may also trickle down to disply formatting - another job for upper management.

All things in due time.

Quote:
As to the Henney, unless and until information surfaces permitting closer identication of these, this will also stay 'as is'.

I had found similar entry for a similar example from 1939, where the Model Number had been entered as '1701A' and was gonna suggest something, but quickly back-pedalled when I saw that there are no commercial chassis shown in the Clipper parts book. While BDeB's info shows several models available as chassis-only, I'd hate to even venture a guess without additional factory documentation - like the parts book for those 20th Series 110-120-160-180 non-Clipper models (at a minimum).

Posted on: 2014/2/4 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Quote:
As to the Henney, unless and until information surfaces permitting closer identication of these, this will also stay 'as is'.

I had found similar entry for a similar example from 1939, where the Model Number had been entered as '1701A' and was gonna suggest something, but quickly back-pedalled when I saw that there are no commercial chassis shown in the Clipper parts book. While BDeB's info shows several models available as chassis-only, I'd hate to even venture a guess without additional factory documentation - like the parts book for those 20th Series 110-120-160-180 non-Clipper models (at a minimum).

It is highly unlikely that there were any Clipper chassis only cars produced. The dealer information booklet that shows them is dated October 1941, so is a very early document.
The 20th Series parts list dated May 1942 does not show any Clipper chassis only model information, just the 2001A for the 120 Eight and 2003A for the 160 Super Eight Hearse and Ambulance chassis.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 22:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
After some further, private, disucssion with BDeB, it is clear that the 2001A and 2003A commercial chassis were not based off of any Clipper chassis, but designs that carried over from previous years. IMHO, it would have made more sense for the factory to designate those chassis as 2021A and 2023A, respectively, but I wasn't there then and don't have all the deatils.

Although the parts books continued to use the '120' designation (even on the 42 Clippers, in a chart found in the 41-47 edition), it was dropped from the model names for the Convertible model, which was a carry-over body and chassis.

Therefore, I would now like to suggest that the aforementioned hearse be listed as '2001A - Henney Hearse', since that entry shows a '2001-A' VN and a 288 engine. I'm suggesting the 2001A chassis number be used in lieu of a bona fide body number, following similar examples from prior years/Series in the Registry.

However, since the Model Info feature doesn't cover the commercial chassis and only the Owner Registry is affected, this is strictly Mal's call.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian(BH) and Brian(BDeB), following your continued and combined research efforts I was pleased to be be able to change the '42 Hearse description to '2001A - Henney Hearse'.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 13:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A 2001A could also be an airport limo, could it not? Or any other type of body a buyer chose to make and mount on that chassis?

Posted on: 2014/2/11 14:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved