Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

39Rollson, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Is a phenolic spacer required for 35 Super 8 Fuel Pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I've been asked whether '35 Super 8's had a phenolic spacer between the fuel pump body and where it is mounted on the crankcase. Consulted the Parts List I have but it doesn't cover Super 8's. Also consulted such Parts Lists and Service and Shop Manuals as were available on PackardInfo but without success. Accordingly can anyone advise if a phenolic spacer is required? And if it is, who has one available? The engine this is required for is close to being reassembled after being completely rebuilt and will be run on a test stand to ensure all is well before it goes back in the car.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 5:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Is a phenolic spacer required for 35 Super 8 Fuel Pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1933-36 parts book for the Eight and Super Eight does list insulators, a set of 2 which I assume are for the bolts, and a single other number which I assume is the block that goes between the pump and the crankcase; they apply to all the Eights and Super Eights 33 to 36 (and probably before and after).

But even if that's in doubt, isn't it easy enough to check? Crank the engine over slowly and watch the stroke and positions of the fuel pump pushrod and compare those positions to the pump lever.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mal -

Sounds like you've got another case where factory-installed countermeasures for vapor lock have been naively discarded at some point in the past.

Be careful which parts book you're checking. The 35-41 edition only covers the models that evolved from the 120/Junior platform. The Super Eight continued to be built on the old Senior chassis until 1939.

While scans of several parts books for prewar models are missing from our archive, the 33-36 Super Eights are covered in the 1933-1936 Packard Eight Parts List. It shows (on p. 97) the same bushing (2 per car), gasket (2 per car), insulating washer (2 per car), and insulator (1 per car) used across all Eight and Super Eight models for the period covered

Meanwhile, the 35-41 book also shows (Gr. 9.201) bushings and insulating washers (2 per car) for all models, but with different P/Ns for two different applications; neither is the same as the 33-36 P/N. Then, it only shows an insulator for the 17th Series (1939) Super Eight, but with a completely different P/N. Though built on a new platform, the old 320 motor continued for the Su8 that one year. Perhaps the single gasket shown for other models/engines incorporated sufficient insulating properties.

Since they didn't simply hand out part numbers like candy, there could be some significant difference(s) in dimension or material between these bushing, insulator, and washer P/Ns - such that the newer numbers are not backwardly compatible.

Source your replacements carefully.

BTW, I also checked the 30-32 parts book (pp. 88-90), and it shows nothing WRT to any bushings, insulator, or insulating washers for the fuel pump.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also checked the 30-32 parts book (pp. 88-90), and it shows nothing WRT to any bushings, insulator, or insulating washers for the fuel pump

Those models were mostly updraft and used a vacuum tank, not a fuel pump. There was a pump available for some but it didn't mount on the crankcase where the later models mounted the pump but up front on the timing chain housing.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Accordingly can anyone advise if a phenolic spacer is required? And if it is, who has one available?

Checking with others, the answer to the first question is YES. To the second, if you can't find a used one, it's a very simple matter to make one from a block of phenolic or other material. If making one, if you don't have an original and base the thickness on the push rod stroke, don't forget to account for the thickness of the 2 gaskets.

I'm pretty sure I have an extra in the parts bin. Not for sale but I'd be glad to make measurements for you.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Those models were mostly updraft and used a vacuum tank, not a fuel pump. There was a pump available for some but it didn't mount on the crankcase where the later models mounted the pump but up front on the timing chain housing.

Well, the diagram for 8th Series on p. 89 looks like it has a mechanically-actuated diaphragm. Application listings (p. 90) even show an eccentric for 8th-9th Series.

However, some sort of changeover equipment is listed for 7th Series (p. 88); perhaps it was 7th and earlier that used the vacuum tank, then.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ninth series, at least the 900, originally came with a vacuum tank. When Packard went to downdraft in 1933 there was a retro kit offered for some prior models, perhaps also including 1931 - this is covered in some service letters. There also might have been a running change during 1932.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 10:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The 900 (Light Eight) isn't covered in the 30-32 parts list, but in its own, separate edition, which (still) isn't available in this archive.

The site's collection of Service Letters for 1933 is rather spotty. Not only are a few issues missing, but scans of several editions from that year only include the front page.

Except for a couple of issues from 1928 and 1930, there's nothing available, here, in the way of Service Letters prior to 1933.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mal, dimensions from my spare 34 Eight engine; I'm certain the spacer block was the same for at least the 33-36 Eight and Super Eight.

Fuel pump spacer block, used: thickness 0.390"
Fuel pump gasket (2 reqd): thickness 0.025" each

Do you need a picture or further dimensions?

Posted on: 2014/2/3 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thankyou gentlemen for your research and information. And with O_D's dimensions, if a spacer block can't be sourced, a replacement can be made.
Again,

Posted on: 2014/2/3 13:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved