Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 50 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Judging by the trunk trim, its a Super Deluxe. Otherwise it would have stainless trim completely around the perimeter of the trunk lid, and have Ultramatic Drive script in place of the Packard script. And as others have pointed out, the 2-tone paint is incorrect, as is the upholstery.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this the same car that was mentioned a few months ago as being "a former Packard mechanics dream car that was lovingly put together from parts and cars he had collected over his lifetime."

Posted on: 2014/3/29 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Cool beans!! I learned something from this post!! I never knew that a standard shift was available on the Super DeLuxe!! I am confused on one point... The window trim surrounds are chromed like on the Custom, but I cannot see the windshield trim, is it chrome?? I do see the window cranks are from a Super DeLuxe, not stainless like the Custom... I am confused though I like the car, just not the interior.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

packards1 wrote:
So is this car a custom-8 with the wrong engine? Or is it something else?

It's a Deluxe Super which should have a 327. This car has a 288.

Quote:

Paul Weeks wrote:
...The window trim surrounds are chromed like on the Custom, but I cannot see the windshield trim, is it chrome??

The windshield trim is not chromed. You are correct in that it would be on a Custom to match the side window garnish. I think the side window garnish on this car came from a Custom.

Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Is this the same car that was mentioned a few months ago as being "a former Packard mechanics dream car that was lovingly put together from parts and cars he had collected over his lifetime."

I think it is.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
48 Touring

Hi Ritchie, here's another nice one.

One good thing for you is that there are a lot of cars not selling, so you can afford to be a little picky and wait for the right car you want.

At one point in my life I would have only looked at Custom Eights, being the top of the line car in those years. As I started reading Neal's book I began to appreciate the Super Eights AND the standard line. Reading through the different models Packard offered in these years is a real mind bender.

Years ago there was a museum near here that had a couple cars for sale, one was a 41 Super Clipper I could have purchased for around $10k.
41 Super Clipper
I thought this was one of the prettiest cars i had ever seen. Green with a light tan interior. Instead, I bought a 55 400 that I began restoration on and ended up unloading it after my divorce. Doh!!

The other was a 49 Golden Anniversary Standard or Deluxe Eight Club sedan he had that I could have purchased for $500. It was pretty rough with a bunch of surface rust on the body and a bunch of dust in the interior. You could, however, see the gold paint and the original interior which was was really pretty when the car was built. That color combination plus the car just looked squat and kind of broad, really appealed to me. Years later I went back to find that car and it was gone so I ended up with the Deluxe Eight Club Sedan I have now.

It's a great time to be buying a car, you'll know the right car when you see it.

Posted on: 2014/3/30 7:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Tinpan, I already bid on the 48 on ebay. It will go beyond what I want to spend, I think. It is a beautiful car. It sure sounds like you have been hooked on Packards and really appreciate how good they are.
Thanks for your help.
Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/30 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
50 in Cal

Kind of far away, but if the other one falls through, this might have potential

Posted on: 2014/3/31 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I don't believe there is such a thing as a 41 Super Clipper. The first year 19th series Clippers had 282's (120 basis), right? For 1942 and the 20th series 6's and 356's were offered as well.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Tinpan, I've seen that car several times as I searched the internet on a daily basis. That car is an automatic and I'd rather a standard shift with overdrive. I like the 48 on ebay but I don't think it has overdrive. Do you think the 48 on ebay has the correct color interior?
Thanks for looking for me, I appreciate it.
Richie.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
bkazmer, you are correct. The only Clipper in 1941 was based on the "120" engine. For 1942 Clippers went full range from the 245 Six, thru the 282 Eight, to the 356 Super Eight.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved