Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 182

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New Guy Introcuction.
Just popping in
Just popping in

RayGun
See User information
Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum and site. My name is Kevin Tully, and I own Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle in Addison Il. After leaving the Air Force, I found myself working for a dragster shop in Maryland, and later moved to Illinois. I worked for a few shops in the area, and found that I just wasn't getting what I needed out of the employment. So I moved on and decided to try my hand and owning my own shop. 5 years later, and we're going strong.

I'm friends (via email and the HAMB) with Rich Fox out in California who races on The Salt with a hopped up 374 V8. My shop is known for using pretty much vintage engines. And we have a special project coming up where we are going to use a 374. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks here that may be against using a 374 in anything but the car it came in, and I totally respect that. But I'm really hoping to meet some folks that will be excited to see a Packard mill used in a notable hot rod. And be willing to help with details, so we can be true to the Packard name.

The car we will be building is a period correct Fall of 1958 west coast open wheel car. Being that the 374 was the largest mill available up until 1958, it only stands to reason (in my mind) it would be attractive to the hot rod crowd of the day. No replacement for displacement, right?

We want to build a nice vintage powerhouse, that will also stand the test of time and mileage. So I'd like to hear about it's faults, how to solve them, and anything else that I should look for. The correct engine color for the year would also help, especially if there was a special color for the highest HP motor that year. I'm assuming that they had a range of HP ratings, depending on which model you chose, and that one of them was the power house. Perhaps the dual quad motor that came in the Caribbean?

Thanks in advance to those who are willing to help.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 16:25
 Top  Print   

Re: New Guy Introcuction.
Just popping in
Just popping in

RayGun
See User information
Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 17:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also welcome. The 374 was only used in 56 and came in two flavors--290 & 310 HP. Only difference was carburetors-single 4GC in lower HP and duals in higher. You're correct in that higher HP was in Carib, but the dual quads could be obtained for "lesser" cars. Both engines were painted bronze. As to things to watch out for, there are a few but will bow out to some really talented motor gurus on site for those details.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 17:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RayGun
See User information
Thanks. Is there a specific supplier that you can get the correct Bronze paint from? Or perhaps a paint code?

So the blocks and associated parts were Bronze, with black valve covers and cream(?) "Packard" lettering?

Posted on: 2008/8/23 19:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is paint from one supplier. Kanter Auto Parts also sells it if you can navigate his website.

The picture is of the engine in a Caribbean with the optional chrome valve covers. I'll see if I can find another with regular valve covers

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=PAC%20BRNZ

EDIT: Here's a picture from a brochure--probably airbrushed but still gives an idea. According to the judging guides, the 56 big engine valve covers were silver with red letters. There is a bit of differences on the chrome ones. Judging guide says letters were unpainted but a member with NOS still in box shows the Packard script red.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.27 KB)
209_48b0b7e379b5d.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (44.48 KB)
209_48b0bc90b4716.jpg 800X733 px

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
RayGun: First of all a big WELCOME to the form.

I think that you will find that most people in here are very open minded and very helpfull.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:33
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think you should take that 374 and put it in one of these, WITH the blower:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/8/23 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kevin,

Welcome to the Site. I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful and knowledgeable Packard people who'll be able to assist you. Keep us updated as things progress and post some pic's as you go along please.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 2:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
After Packard ceased production in 1956 there were hundreds of engines left over. These were sold off over the next few years. Hot rod magazines had small ads in 1957 and 58 offering these engines at low prices. Also, one was given away as a prize at a major drag race meet during this time period.

So it would be perfectly logical for one of those big babies to show up in a hot rod. In fact I'd be surprised if there weren't. But I don't remember any Packard powered magazine feature cars. That's not to say they weren't built.

There are some debates between the "orthodox" and "reform" wings of the old car hobby. This site is mainly for the orthodox. But there are a few hot rodders around.I for one will follow your project with interest as will a few others.

If you are wondering where all those Packard engines went I believe many of them were bought up by a marine engine company and converted to marine power plants. So if you see a rotten old power boat from the late fifties or early sixties it might just have twin 374's in it.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 6:47
 Top  Print   

Re: New Guy Introduction.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Black valve covers with cream-colored Packard script would be correct only on a V8 engine as used in a '55 Packard, but that block would have been painted ivory (a shade that some may interpret as "cream").

The 374cid V8 was used one year only (1956) and only in the Patrician, Four Hundred and Caribbean models; Clippers and Executives were a whole 'nuther matter. The 374 block was painted bronze, but the valve covers were painted silver (I'd use an Argent Silver), with red Packard script. Some illustrations of that engine show an optional chrome-plated valve cover with red script.

Yes, there's some debate as to whether the Packard script on all chrome-plated valve covers (used 1955-56) were painted in red or left plain, but every unrestored '56 Carib that I've seen has at least some trace of red paint.

However, after so many years, paint color may not be the best indicator of engine type.

To be sure what engine you have, you should look for the 8-digit vehicle serial number stamped on the engine. On my Packards , all of which are '56 examples, that number has been just ahead of the valley pan cover, near the oil fill tube. Unfortunately, an engine will only carry a vehicle number if it was installed as part of vehicle production - not applicable to service replacement blocks. However, ALL engines have their own serial number, stamped at the Utica plant, which has an alpha prefix.

Give us these numbers and we'll be able to tell you what it was intended for.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 10:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved