Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Upper suspension rubber bumper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm apparently overlooking the obvious but the suspension top rubber bumpers are proving to be a P.I.A. The retaining end has to go in the hole in the support but there is no access to the rear side to help it down or to get the lip seated so the bumper is retained. The bottoms were easy because they are retained with a clip and open access. Not the top. Surely someone has done this before. I've tried grease, silicone, a flattish tool under the bumper pushing directly on the lip area and strong words. Any other hints?

Attach file:

jpg  (15.39 KB)
209_5388a9ab8f48c.jpg 785X426 px

jpg  (78.71 KB)
209_5388a9b527246.jpg 922X904 px

Posted on: 2014/5/30 10:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Upper suspension rubber bumper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure they're the same but I've done similar "blind" front suspension bumpers before successfully and relatively easily. Dish detergent on the rubber. You might want an extra set of hands - what I did was have a friend twist them while I pushed aggressively in the center of the bushing end with something blunt and relatively small diameter to deform it a bit and help extend the lip on the other end to slip thru and seat itself. It's what we used to call a "pesky" little job.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Dave. That did it.

For benefit of anyone else like me not able to figure out the simple things, the rubber stem was lubed. Instead of a helper, placed a large nut about 3/4 dia in the center of the bumper. Let the weight of the car upper A arm down on the nut and bumper. The nut pushed into the center of bumper and retaining section went down into the hole nicely.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 12:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, Neat trick. I would have thought you would have had to jack up the front of the car so the upper A-arm would move down as the weight was removed, there by seating the bumper into its hole. I did the job on a 1939 Cadillac 60 Special years ago, and as I recall the bumper fit into the hole without any problems after lubricating it with liquid diswashing soap. One more job checked off.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/30 12:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would have thought you would have had to jack up the front of the car so the upper A-arm would move down as the weight was removed, there by seating the bumper into its hole.

That is exactly what I was trying to say with "weight of the car" except like everything else I write lately, can't seem to do it with clarity.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Your writing and descriptions of work are first class. The extent you go to providing text and images is impressive. Maybe you should start a column: "Howard's Garage". Not a blog, per se, but a description of projects you have accomplished. It would be great and informative reading.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/30 13:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I fussed with those things for hours on the '50. I ended up doing exactly what you did... it worked.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 15:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved