Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 120 Brakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I have been reading the information and doing research on how to remove the rear brake drums so I can redo the brakes on my '37 Touring Sedan. From what I've read, the fronts will come off fairly easily, so that should be no problem. However, I have not located anything in my research on the best way to reinstall said back brake drums. I would not think you would beat on them with a hammer until they popped back into place. What would any of you out there suggest would be the best way of getting these back on so I don't have a surprise as I am going down the highway?

Posted on: 2014/6/24 9:48
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 120 Brakes
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
The brake drums should go right on(I never had any make car give this problem),if the emergency brake is off and the brake shoe adjustment backed off. If you put a new emergency cable on or adjusted it without the drums on(adjust the brake shoes first),that's your problem. Do your drums have a lip on the outside edge worn in them? That might also be your problem. Also make sure the key doesn't get in the way. Are you lining the drum up with the key and key slot?

Posted on: 2014/6/24 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day R Howe,
to PackardInfo. The advice convert has given you should get your rear drums on without any dramas, you don't have to use force. Getting the rears off though can be another matter altogether and usually requires a heavy duty drum puller and requisites amounts of muscle.

And I invite you to include your '37 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 13:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks, Convert. I'm not quite to the point of actually removing the drums yet, but just wanted the information on how they went back on. I'm still not understanding as to why it takes a heavy duty puller to remove them, but they then just slip back on without requiring the same amount of force in the opposite direction to reinstall them. Does it have something to do with the tapered shaft?

Posted on: 2014/6/24 15:03
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Exactly, the tapered shaft and the fact that the axle nut is torqued to something like 250 ft. lbs. Do not grease or oil the taper on the axle and in the drum. They go up dry and clean. There have been many discussions about drum removal on this site and you should be able to find those discussions in a search on the subject. A special drum puller is required along with a big hammer/sledge. You'll see it all in the discussions. Good luck and let us know how the job progresses.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/6/24 17:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved