Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 6 Volt to 12 Volt Conversion for 1939 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Owen_Dyneto saysQuote:
With a good battery and cables and starter, it turns over at the speed it was designed to turn over!

AMEN to that.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 22:55
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

iburyem73
See User information
I'm one more of those don't do it guys! My 39 Henney starts everyday without a problem! If it's not broke, don't fix it. I have everyone telling me all the time that I should convert mine, and if I am going to use it at our funeral home then I HAVE to change it...I don't know how back in the day those cars ever started and made it to the cemetery without a hitch over and over!

Posted on: 2008/9/16 14:31
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

TaraMay
See User information
Hi i have a packard clipper 1953 i was thinking of doing the 12 volt conversion because of the problems of cranking over very slow ,if i put a 12 volt battery and coil it will fire up replace with the 6 volt and there s no spark at the point s and turns over slow ,if i can get some info on this i will leave it 6 volts

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming the battery to be in good shape with plenty of CCA capacity, generally the biggest problem with older 6v car electrical is corrosion in connections - particularly the grounds - and cable size. The battery cables need to be those designed for high amperage 6v use. If factory originals make sure the connections are clean on both ends. If they have been replaced with modern cables typically found in parts stores, then most likely they are way too small.

The starter draws a considerable amperage. In doing so, inadequate battery capacity, small cables, poor connections, etc can't supply the needed current so the starter turns slowly. With the large draw it also pulls down the rest of the electrical so the coil doesn't get enough voltage for a proper spark

I would verify all the above is in excellent condition before considering further action.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
As evidenced by this thread, if your starter is in good shape, and you have the right cables going to your starter (double aught, 00) and your battery is in good shape, the motor will turn over just fine.

If all the electrics are good and the motor still turns too slow to start, then you have a different problem. Whatever this problem is, it will not be solved by converting to 12 volts.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:26
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I am working to change my 1938 to 12 volts mainly because I want to add air conditioning (in Texas cool air is a good thing). I have the in-cab air conditioner/heater unit mounted. My instruments have been redone to be 12v and to include a voltmeter in place of an amp gauge.

I need to figure out how the shutters should operate. When the air conditioner wants cool air, I want the shutters to open. My plan is to put an actuator in the mechanical connection to the shutters to pull them open when the A/C needs air but the engine does not.

All of my wires needed to be replaced. At first I planned to keep the 6v positive ground, but I am working now on 12v negative ground. I have a Delco alternator, but I am figuring out how whether to use a 5/8" belt or a 1/2" belt. I would like to add a supercharger. The old VS57 Studebaker type superchargers used a 5/8" belt, I think. New superchargers use 1/2".

Posted on: 2013/3/2 15:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved