Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wiring color codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The last time I was in TCP Global, which was several years ago, their store brand was PPG. While they can't tell you that, they pallets of 55 gallon drums of PPG that they off load into quarts & gallon cans. It runs about 2/3 the price of what you would pay for PPG stuff.

My '32 was painted with their paint. I used their 2K Iso-Free primer. It stuck great and had good fill properties. The down side was it is a very hard primer that makes sanding a chore, but does provide a great foundation.

Their store brand of sandpaper is also very good and nicely priced.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 3:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
Here is a list that I made for myself for 1948-49 models.

Very nice job! I've added your excellent reference to my documentation stash. Thank you for submitting it.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you BDeB for the excellent wire list - It's what I needed -

Posted on: 2014/11/8 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
John, If you have a Packard shop manual, it will probably give it in the Electrical section. I know the 51-54 has it on page 30, and I suspect that the wire sizes are the same.

I finally finished up trouble shooting the turn signals on my 51 - there is a double barreled connector (looks like a miniature shotgun barrel) with two flat copper plugs that fit into it. One is for the right hand blinker, and the other for the left. One seemed to be in the hole, but it was loose, and both were corroded and nasty. A little work with some emery cloth and some dielectric grease and all is well again. Plus I replaced both of the junction blocks on the fenders. Nice new brass bolts, clean connectors and dielectric grease seems to have done the trick.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks David - I don't have the shop manual, but BDeB posted a very nice wire list for 1948-1949 models that shows wire gauges. Someone cut several wires that come thru the firewall on my car. ( See my pictures under the post " OD Lockout Cable Removal" ) I think I may have figured out what they go to. I will see if Rhode Island Wiring Service can duplicate the missing wires.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 1:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I see reference in the forum to your wiring color code list, but I didn't see where the actual list is. Can you help point me there.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Yes - Go to page 1 of this same topic the post is by BDeb - click on his post ( Wire .PDF ) Don't know if 1946 is the same

Posted on: 2014/11/9 11:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1946 wiring is slightly different.
See Service Counselor Vol. 19 No. 10 for the 21st Series wiring diagrams complete with wire gauge and color codes.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
PPG has purchased at least one company here in Australia and while they have not changed the company / brand name I understand their formulations for many paints etc are identical to PPG's. Their prices are dramatically lower.

Posted on: 2014/11/9 19:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved