Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

kevinpackard, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

"53 Clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
I am a novice when it comes to mechanics. I just got a 53 Clipper DeLuxe 4 door. What I'm looking for is anyone who's got some expertise in 53 Packards. I've already got some great advice on where to start in general, but now I need specific info.
Namely, I found a 51 300, and I need to know if I should pick it up as a parts car, for the motor and transmission. Are the parts going to be interchangable?
Any suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 13:51
 Top  Print   

Re: "53 Clipper
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Welcome to the website. If you havent already, please add your Clipper to the registry.

Most of the Packards and Clippers between 1951-1954 have interchangable parts mechanically speaking. The trim was different between the clippers and the packards, and the trim changed almost every year.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 14:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Engine and trans are interchangeable but there are differences. For example, engines are both 5 main but the 300 was considered a more senior car and has hydraulic lifters and the senior type accessories and electrics whereas the Clipper was a junior car and has mechanical lifters etc. There are some other differences as well, but most mechanical things will or can be made to fit without too much problem, though not all. Some body & trim parts will fit, some fit but look different, and some will be another issue entirely as the 300 was on the 127 WB and the Clipper was on a 122. Windshields were different, and I think the back window.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 14:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day and aboard the Site. for adding your Clipper to the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 15:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Nice to see a new Packard owner. Welcome to the site!!

Posted on: 2008/9/14 16:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
Thanks for the welcome! Believe me...I still can't believe I actually have a Packard to register! I can't stop going out to the driveway to make sure it's still there and not just a dream.

I'm just overwhelmed when I look at everything that needs to be done and how little I know about getting it done. I was very happy to find what I hope is a good parts car in the '51 300, but I don't what to get it if the parts aren't going to work on my '53. Looking under the hood of the 300, everything is there (unlike my Clipper). It has a carb, (which I need), but I can tell it's different, mine didn't have a carb, but it's got four ports where the carb mounts, so I figure I need a 4 barrel, the one on the 51 is a one barrel.

Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2008/9/14 17:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
Thanks. I found that out real quick on the trim, the 300 had the front spears, got them home and of course they didn't fit (they will if they have to down the road!)
Could y/ou confirm my Clipper has a 288? The block is dated 11/18/52 and has a number on the top 44S019 288, I figure that means its a 288 and not a 327.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 17:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It most likely is a 327 with 288 head for the slightly higher compression. Look for a motor number. 1953 288s will start with L20XXXX and 327 will be L30XXXX series. The senior engines would be L4 or L6 series.

There seems to be a bit of discussion where the numbers actually are. Some are stamped on a machined pad on block just below head parting line and slightly to rear of distributor, others are cast or stamped in lower rear sides of engines by starter motor or opposite side.

The entire intake manifold with l bbl carb would bolt onto your Clipper engine but it might be as cheap or easy just to find the 4 bbl.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 18:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
I'm good on interior trim ect, it's just mechanically I'm missing a lot, (I was looking under the hood again today and I think some one either pulled the engine or attempted to and stopped, the motor mount nuts are all gone and several of the bolts on the front clip are gone. Also the "accelerator arm" and mounting bracket are tucked behind the engine and fire wall, I don't know how that could have gotten there unless the engine had been moved)
This 300 is in tough shape not a panel with out a dent or rust, but under the hood it looks like it was just parked and left.
So just to confirm the starter, generator, fuel pump, oil cleaner, oil pan, carb ect would work on my Clipper?
Also, the 300 doesn't have easomatic brakes. If I had to could I convert the Clipper to standard brakes?

Posted on: 2008/9/14 18:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

overmyhead
See User information
Now I'm really confused, my block is stamped behind the distributor, the number is L400554, does this mean it's a 327 senior with hydrolic lifters?

Posted on: 2008/9/14 18:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved