Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Coolant Overflow Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
This is off my 48. I will need to patch two holes with fiber glass, unless someone has a better one for sale. Anyone know what years this tank came on ?

Attach file:

jpg  (38.07 KB)
4958_5486261d2c817.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (53.20 KB)
4958_5486263c5dcbd.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Coolant Overflow Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi John:

That is not a Packard part.

Most likely it was added because the radiator was being overfilled.

The correct level for the radiator is high enough to cover the tubes with the top tank acting as the expansion chamber.

I would test that level and see if it still overflows.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe Packard ever had a coolant recovery tank so that is most likely aftermarket or out of a junkyard car. If that one proves difficult to repair and you still want one, you can usually buy a universal tank at parts stores or find one on Amazon made for another car that will work.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Hmm - I thought it was original to the car - I don't know if I even need it - Thanks

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks Tim - No, it had nothing in it -it was just mounted on the inner fender - Probably leave it off - The previous owner had also mounted this vacuum tank on the firewall for wiper boost and a horn of some kind on the right inner fender -might have been a siren !

Attach file:

jpg  (93.36 KB)
4958_548631e709a29.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/12/8 18:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the only Packards to have a coolant overflow tank were the 32 - 39 Twelves.

[Edit] Adding photo of Twelve radiator overflow tank on 1936 model, all years the same I believe; it's the black steel tank outboard of the frame rail.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.83 KB)
177_5487292b5aff7.jpg 664X526 px

Posted on: 2014/12/8 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Probably a work around fix for a bad cap, thermostat, or malfunctioning radiator. I am continually amazed at what people come up with to "fix" a problem rather than repair it properly.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/8 22:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning John...

In warm areas, the overflow tank can be helpful. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona, and have one on my 1931 Model 'A' Ford 'Miss Princess' and also on my 1949 Packard, 'Miss Prudence'. Both cars will push water into the overflow tanks on warm/hot days.

I purchased both tanks from Speedway for less than $50 each and they are stainless steel. They look like something that might be found on a Packard! I found that the one that is 10" tall and about 3" diameter can easily be attached to the radiator bolts on the right side of the radiator in the Packard.

I hope this helps.

Ernie, current caretaker of 'Miss Princess' and Miss 'Prudence'.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 12:42
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ernie, glad for you the overflow tanks are helping the cooling problems on your Packards. Sometimes something other than stock components need to be used on these vintage motor cars. Though, all too often, unnecessary improvements are installed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/9 13:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some may find the reason interesting (though obvious when you give it some thought) that the Twelves 32-39 had a coolant reserve tank, yet the Eights and Super Eights did not. The coolant expands in volume as the engine reaches operating temperature - with the Eights and Super Eights with a 5-gallon cooling system this expansion is easily accommodated in the headspace of the upper radiator tank, provided it is not overfilled when cold. But the Twelves had a 10-gallon cooling system capacity and the new volume resulting from the expansion exceeded the available headspace in the upper radiator tank and was thus routed to an expansion tank.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 14:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved