Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brake lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill
See User information
I'm having a problem with my brake lights coming on after I park my 51 200. After a couple of hours the brake light comes on and ends up killing my battery. I have to disconnect the battery to save it. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2015/1/10 12:09
 Top  Print   

Re: brake lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My first guess would be a defective switch. Another possibility is something in the pedal arrangement -- maybe free play adjustment or spring tension has changed or debris is preventing full return travel -- and is keeping the piston away or allowing it to move away from its normal resting place.

There is a tiny relief port in the master which is supposed to be uncovered when pedal is completely relaxed. If something is keeping the piston away from its end rest spot by even a small amount it keeps that port covered. The fluid being hot will want to expand slightly. With port covered and no way for fluid to expand back into the reservoir, it may exert enough pressure to activate the switch.

Because it happens after a couple of hours and when the car has cooled, the lights don't go back off, I would suspect the switch as more likely. Easy and inexpensive enough to replace as a first step. If that doesn't solve the problem, at least you will have a spare switch.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My 56 had a similar problem that would turn on the brake lights unpredictably after the car was shut down. But it was always a matter of a few minutes, not hours. Replacing the three prong sender switch (located almost under the battery tray) with a NOS switch seems to have solved the problem. But strangely, that cure took a few days to make things work as they should. At first, the old problem persisted, even with the new switch. My prayers might have caused the solution to take place eventually. One of the mysteries of having a 58 year old car.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 18:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you are using silicon brake fluid it may ruin your old switch in short order.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 12:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the switch is good, either pedal free play is absent (adjust to about 1 inch) or the vent hole in the cap is clogged.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Why not try some diagnostics?

Wait until the lights come on and open one of the bleeders. If the lights go out the problem may be due to a sticky wheel cylinder moving and creating pressure that is not sufficient to open the residual check valve.

If they don't go out then consider a problem inside the switch.

If the brakes are adjusted too tight a cooling drum may also create pressure.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 16:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved