Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

SteveP516, Bingo, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

VIN number
Just popping in
Just popping in

Lars Larsson
See User information
Hallo everybody out there, greetings from sunny San Diego!We have just bought a 1955 Packard Caribian which needs restoration, all is there so this should not be to difficult. The problem is we need a Title for the car, it's lost. The Vin number is 6588-1075 which according to the registration people is wrong. It's missing numbers !!!! and we can not figure this out. Can anyone tell us how to find the correct number and where to look for the history of this vehicle. Please if you know, post it here or email me at amerikalasse@telia.com or call me at 619 287 5437
Thank you and the best to you all, Lars Larsson

Posted on: 2015/3/8 16:12
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on getting a somewhat special and rare car and welcome to the forum.

The number should be 5588-1075 and that is all the vehicle number there was in 55. 55 for the series, 1955; 88 for the Caribbean model, and 1075 is the sequence number and means it was the 75th Caribbean made (the starting # was 1001). They stopped using the different motor number that was sometimes also used for registration purposes with the end of 1954 production. In 55-6 it was just the single number for engine and body. There was a different engine manufacturing number from the engine factory commonly referred to here as the Utica number but that was only used internally. The only other number on the car is the body ID or thief proof number that is embossed on the firewall above the heater box. That was also used internally and no comprehensive records have yet been found to correlate a number with a specific car. One of the forum members here is collecting a database of those thief proof numbers If you would be willing to share yours.

For your car, the important number is on the door post and if it is the original engine the same number will be on the top of engine on a pad between the oil filler tube and oil filter. Sort of in front of but also kind of under the oil filter and may be faintly stamped and covered with grease. The only official info I can recall on the vehicle number is this excerpt from the service manual. Some years had specific registration info and DMV instructions published but I don't think 55 did.

Being a Caribbean, there is a possibility past info on the car is available from the keeper of the roster for that model. I don't recall who that is at the moment but someone should have the info and will post contact methods before too long.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.46 KB)
209_54fcc34f1d2a3.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (31.56 KB)
209_54fcce707e64f.jpg 746X233 px

Posted on: 2015/3/8 16:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lars, greetings.

Go back to your state DMV people with HH's info above and ask to speak with a supervisor, the agent you spoke with is apparently only familiar with the federally mandated VINs which came into force long after Packard was dead and buried.

Also go to this page on The Packard Club website and print off this official Packard document which shows the range of vehicle numbers for the 1955 Packards and take the document to your state registration folks.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3189

Posted on: 2015/3/8 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What color(s) is your car?

The driver side door post data plate will give you the paint and trim codes.

5588-1075 is not on the roster I have.

If you have pictures that you want to post, it would help us tell you more about your car.

Oh yeah,

Welcome to this site.

Your best hope for history, is to ask the people you bought it from. Who did they purchase it from, where did they purchase it, and so on.

Posted on: 2015/3/8 17:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lars Larsson
See User information
Thank you Sir for a quick respons. Your help is much appriciated. We bought this car from a collector after the car has been in a warehouse for 25-30 years and all documents are lost. It would be nice to find out more about this nice but very dusty car. Thanks again. Lars

Posted on: 2015/3/8 18:01
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lars Larsson
See User information
Thank you Sir for the information. All help is much appriciated. Best regards, Lars

Posted on: 2015/3/8 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Lars

Welcome! Keep us posted how you succeed with the title problems, and give us a look at your new acquisition. Caribbeans are very special cars, glad you have such a worthwhile car to preserve. Check in often, ask all the questions you have, knowledgeable and helpful Packard men are standing by to assist!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/8 18:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Lars Larsson,

to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '55 Caribbean Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 1:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Hi Lars
I live in Cali also but it is pretty easy really to get the car registered. You will need a bill of sale (CA DMV form Reg 135) and have the seller sign it. You may need a written statement from the seller such as this was an estate sale, Lien Sale or from an auction company etc.

Suggest that you make an appointment at DMV and take what ever paperwork you have. DMV may issue a Temp Operating Permit (TOP) or a certificate of Non Op(Depending on what you choose). DMV will require you a "VIN Inspection" by the CHP (Highway Patrol).

You will need to make an appointment with CHP for the VIN inspection. They will request you bring the car to the office.
Sometimes, on occasions, they can come to you. My suggestion is to print off the information concerning Packards anti theft number and body number and give it to the Officer.

The CHP officer will inspect the car for all the numbers. He assigned a VIN, they have adhesive stamped plates they will attach to the car. The form he has to complete will note the location of the new VIN plate.

Keep your checkbook handy because both DMV and CHP will want to be paid! Don't forget insurance. A good rule of thumb, If the rubber meets the road you have to have insurance in CA in other words if the tires are on the street it needs insurance and current registration.

Good luck and welcome.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 12:47
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved