Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Yesterday's New York Times
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting article in yesterday's New York Times about the increasing appreciation for (and $ value of) unrestored cars, almost lamenting the numbers of well-preserved original cars that have been needlessly restored. How nice it is to see this trend gaining traction, especially from the venue that so values restoration (dare I say over-restoration?).

Granted the article was aimed at the very high end cars, Ferraris, M-B, etc. One example cited was a pair of M-B 300SL cars at Pebble auction last year - one impeccably restored and the other original and not even carefully preserved. The original sold for a half-million more than the restored example.

The article, by Robert C. Yeager, appears in Section B, page 4, and is titled "A New Class of Ferrari Takes a Bow at Pebble Beach - Unrestored".

Posted on: 2015/8/15 9:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Yesterday's New York Times
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If memory serves, your friend Babinsky was one of the people pushing Pebble to give unrestored special status.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Link to the NYT article.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 14:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't care. Those people are crazy the same way as art collectors. Recently I was at a show where half of the Cadillacs were original and only one of the restored Cadillacs was overdone. Later I was told the overdone car was in a collision that destroyed the original body.

I think a better way to describe what is being done to Packards is customization. They are recreated in the eye of the restorer.

I got a laugh recently when I read some advertisement about some $4.1 million dollar Packard and how is was the best and so on and so forth. I guess I must be the only person in the world who noticed the car is missing parts like the striping. Can't those millionaires afford to get those cars properly striped?

I don't think those people actually like cars at all. I think they like the politics. If you look at who they are talking to in that article it is clear they don't know a wrench from a ratchet. The whole thing is like one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's worst nightmares.

Posted on: 2015/8/15 14:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved