Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 171

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hot restart on 37 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm encountering a restart problem with my 37 115 6 cylinder. I can start the car and drive a short distance, turn off the ignition and when I try to restart the engine it turns very slowly and will not start. I can then hook up a charger to the battery and it will then start after about 15 minutes. When the engine reaches full operating temperature it absolutely will not restart unless it cools down for about 20 minutes. The engine is not overheating. As I have a new radiator and an engine with only about 200 miles.My battery is about one and a half years old but I wonder if It might have a weak cell causing this issue. A friend of mine suggested that I add a ground strap bolted under the starter bolt at the bell housing back to the starter end plate.. This had no effect. I would love to hear input from any Packard owners that may have experienced an issue such as this. I plan on having the battery load tested this weekend. Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 20:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Hot restart on 37 6
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Is the generator charging? How long did it sit while you had the car apart? I had a similar problem on my 115, re-polarized the generator, and it went away immediately.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 8:50
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The generator hypothesis is an interesting idea. If the regulator isn't polarized the generator may be motoring. Loosening the belt would prove that point.

But how do you polarize the charging system?

Take a short lead of wire and momentarily connect the battery wire to the armature wire on the regulator. Or for the uninitiated, jump the two fat wires on the regulator together for a second.

The old AC Delco manual said to do this anytime the battery was disconnected. I don't think they reckoned on disconnect switches back then, but they were fanatical about the need to polarize the charging system.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Tim, thanks for the assist. I couldn't remember for sure which two wires to jumper momentarily.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 18:46
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A great spoiler of hot starts is having the timing too far advanced. You may not hear it kicking back against the starter but it will be very hard to start warm.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks everyone who have posted with suggestions, I'm working my way through the ideas and will post when I find the culprit.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 7:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. so it cranks real slow when hot. Has this engine been recently rebuilt??? And if so, then what kind of piston clearence was used???

Posted on: 2015/10/25 8:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Old Coils and Condensers can cause such hard starting. Ernie. Caretaker of 'Miss Prudence' a 1949 Deluxe

Posted on: 2015/10/25 16:02
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My guess is that the starter is worn and when it becomes heat soaked requires significantly more current than normal and turns over slower and may not restart the engine. I would just remove the starter, disassemble, clean. inspect, and overhaul as necessary. It is a relatively simple job.

(o{}o)

Edit: I looked up the amp load test for the Delco starters, but there was no spec listed. The Auto Lite load spec for the 6-cylinder starter is 880 amps and 5.5 volts. I would expect both to be about the same current draw. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/10/26 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved