Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

water pump swap early 48 on a 51 288
Just popping in
Just popping in

saltracer
See User information
Hello, I have begun working on a packard engine rebuild and would like to swap the water pump from a early 48 288 to my 51 288. The 1951 pump moves my cooling fan to the driver side of the car and I would like to keep the original 48 288 fan location. Will the 48 pump just bolt on? I dont have a 48 pump to try on the car. I would just like to know before I buy a pump and not have it work.Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 10:17
 Top  Print   

Re: water pump swap early 48 on a 51 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One way to tell is if the pump to block gaskets are the same.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/12/30 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
48 and 51 pumps mount differently, they are not interchangeable.

to use a 48 block in a 51 you must change the front engine plate and use a 51 plate. The 48 front engine mount is attached to the plate, the 51 uses 2 side engine mounts and none on the front. the 48 block is not drilled for the side engine mounts, you must check to see if the area is suitable do drill and tap.

The 48 is std trans, check compatibility of end of crankshaft for that. The 51 crank is drilled fro a larger OD /same ID pilot bearing which may or may not be in your 51 crank. They are available

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/12/30 12:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

saltracer
See User information
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will figure out a way to use the 51 water pump. The engine is going in a roadster I am building and I wanted to move the cooling fan behind the radiator and grill shell a little better. I was hoping the earlier pump would do the trick. Back to the drawing board

Posted on: 2015/12/30 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
leave the fan off the pump and use an electric fan?

Posted on: 2015/12/30 13:54
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess I'm confused as to which way you are swapping.

Wouldn't the holes in the block be the same as far as the water pump mount? If it is going in a 48 chassis then front engine mount and plate would be conflict points and you would need the higher pump. If going in a later chassis with side mounts I would think the 48 pump assy would bolt OK but it would be higher so possible hood problems.

The suggestion of getting a 48 gasket makes the most sense. I would think one should be available separately from the vendors at minimal cost.

Here are couple of photos showing the two pumps. Unfortunately, I was only looking for basic hub positions so when I took the photos I didn't make much effort to get the rotation exactly the same. As I see it, I believe the 4 holes around the water dist tube are the same but the hub height and placement is definitely different.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.44 KB)
209_56842fc3b6a88.jpg 1280X910 px

jpg  (67.07 KB)
209_56842fcd1440c.jpg 1272X801 px

Posted on: 2015/12/30 14:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

saltracer
See User information
HH56 ...pre 50 pump on a 51 block. I have a gasket on the way.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 14:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

saltracer
See User information
I'll post some pictures when the gasket arrives. I was hoping someone else had tried this before. Thanks for all the info guys. I really like this site.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 14:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day saltracer,
to PackardInfo.

When you say "The engine is going in a roadster I am building", could you tell us more about this project?

And, if it's a Packard roadster, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry!

Posted on: 2015/12/30 16:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

saltracer
See User information
Sorry, not a packard roadster. It's a 27 ford roadster modified that I was going to put a straight 8 Buick in. I was given this 288 packard and changed my mind.
My father and I run a car at the Bonneville salt flats in the g/gmr class and have been throwing the idea around about finding another 288 and running in the flathead class.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 18:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved