Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Nickel or chrome?
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
My 1928 Packard 526 is one of the Nickel era cars. As polished nickel appears very similar to chrome but is less durable I would like to know if there are demerits in judging for use of chrome on a nickel era car?

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Nickel or chrome?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would disagree that the nickel is less durable, looking at many untouched survivors from the 20s and 30s those with nickel have survived the ravages of time far better.

Your judging question may depend on the venue. CCCA does not deduct for chrome replacing nickel, clearly stated in their judging guidelines. Not sure what AACA and PAC standards are but if I had to guess I'd say that AACA standards are less flexible. All I see in the PAC judging for plating is to "check for correct plating" with no statement that substitution is permissible.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I agree with Dave, the nickel on my 1922 126 that was re-plated around 1980 still looks superb. It will dull off a little after a while but the shine is easily restored with a light clean with a metal polish.
The slightly golden appearance of the nickel is distinctive on the pre 1929 Packards and chrome does not look right, its the first thing I notice! Keep it authentic

Posted on: 2016/2/16 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think there is a way to chrome-plate nickel so as to retain the nickel color. I don't know what they do, but perhaps they allow it to tarnish slightly before dipping it into the chrome tank. Or, possibly they do a dip into another type of tank to get it to tarnish evenly before dipping into the chrome.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 9:06
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't say that I've ever heard of this, but if it's possible I doubt its done by trying to apply an electrolytic plating over a tarnished surface - that would most probably interfere with the adhesion of the plating.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think all that chrome versus nickel stuff is a Turnquist legacy. Everything under the sun was chromed on his 443. If left out in the weather those nickel radiator shells will deteriorate badly due to heat so they need to be looked after religiously. There is the option of clear coating the stuff to help prevent such problems. If the objective is to present an "as delivered" look then tarnished nickel just doesn't work.

As well, back during the over chroming era if you started nickel plating bumpers, snap rings, and everything else you would have a major maintenance headache.

However, Packard restoration is full of "but it looks better that way" logic so these things happen.

I have this 1920's style banjo and when I placed the order chrome had to be special ordered because it is not authentic. I didn't give it any thought and took nickel. It is impossible to clean that nickel so I just leave it tarnished.

Posted on: 2016/2/17 11:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved